Author Topic: Need advice and help how to get couple of silver dollars appraised!  (Read 2839 times)

Bumbul25

• View Profile
Here is a list of silver dollar coins I have:

1796 silver dollar (2 quantity, liberty written on front with head figure, on back United States of America with an eagle (not sure) on branch)

1872 trade dollar 420 grains, 900 fine (3 quantity)

1803 silver dollar

1906 silver dollar (ellis island gateway to america written on front)

1900 silver one dollar

1882 silver one dollar

1 troy ounce silver .999

1922 silver one dollar

I will be posting pictures as well (as soon as I'm able to take a good quality), any advice and information would be helpfull, thank you!

Vrillon

• View Profile
Re: Need advice and help how to get couple of silver dollars appraised!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »
the 1796 one should be interesting once you post pics.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:11:03 pm »
You've come to the right place for advice! There are quite a few sites I found on the net. Unfortunately, 1700's-1800's silver dollars are one of the most commonly counterfeited coins in the US. I really hope you either got these from a reputable person/place or they have been in your family for a very long time. I am hoping you have some very vaulable coins and not reproductions! Here are a few sites:

http://www.coinstudy.com/silver-dollar-values.html
http://www.silver-coins.org/counterfeit_dollars.html

Vrillon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:07 pm »
from looking, the 1796's are mass produced in reproductions or are counterfeited.

the 1906 Ellis island is also mass produced in reproductions or are counterfeited.

I am almost willing to bet most of what you got is reproductions though, otherwise you are sitting on a small gold mine.

especially on the 1906 Ellis Island and 1796s and maybe even the 1803 as well.

Bumbul25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:04:49 pm »
Thank you very much for all of your help and information!  I'm going to try to post pictures, having trouble right know but will either tonight or tomorrow.  I did check out the counterfeit and it looks nothing like mine.  I'm just hesitant to take it to a coin dealer at this time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:52:39 am by Bumbul25 »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:33:34 pm »
I'm interested to see images of what you've got there , Bumbul25 .

There's not that much of a collector base for 'commemorative' silver ingots (except for a few famous/rare ones) ; the .999 (round , I think) one you mentioned is prob. worth it's weight .... the others , well .....

In my region of the country , most coin dealers will offer around $1-$2 less than 'spot' prices for silver ingots , esp. in small quanities .

An honest dealer will be happy to take a peek at your items , sans charge , esp. if you're putting them up for sale .... but if you're hesitant , they may wonder why .