Author Topic: Old Mr. Boston rocking chair bottle  (Read 5507 times)

aevilleg

Old Mr. Boston rocking chair bottle
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »
I have an Old Mr. Boston rocking chair Kentucky whiskey bottle. The bottle itself rocks from side to side. It has a liquor control commission sticker on it. Does anybody know anything about this bottle? I can't find any information on it anywhere. I will post a pic once I get to my laptop because I'm posting this from a mobile phone.  All help appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Old Mr. Boston rocking chair bottle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:06:15 pm »
Waiting for the pic !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:06:24 am »
I can't tell you much about the bottle, but the following introduction from the 1935 OMB Bartender's Guide makes you want to meet Old Mr. Boston himself. Sounds like the type of fellow that could show you a good time. 8)

"He is a jolly fellow, one of those rare individuals, everlastingly young, a distinct personality and famous throughout the land for his sterling qualities and genuine good fellowship. His friends number in the millions, those who are great and those who are near great, even as you and I. He is jovial and ever ready to accept the difficult role of “Life of the Party,” a sympathetic friend who may be relied upon in any emergency"

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:43:19 am »
Te old red guide with the chain attached is a golden age of cocktails classic. I sold a few on Ebay years ago for around 15 bucks each

aevilleg

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:35:17 pm »
Here is a picture of the bottle. It rocks <---- to ---->

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »
Here is some info that will help date it

The trademark "Old Mr. Boston" was first used about 1937.(top left). When it was owned by the Ben Burk Inc. Corp of Boston, MA. Over the years the company changed hands and about a half dozen marks were registered.  In the early 1950s- 1970s the mark was owned by Mr. Boston Distiller Inc. and later still in the 1980s the owner was Glenmore Distiller Company of Louisville. If your bottle has any of these names you can probably date it

aevilleg

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »
Thankyou so much for the information! It does say "BLENDED AND BOTTLES BU MR. BOSTON. DISTILLER INC. BOSTON, MASS w14"

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 04:10:59 pm »
If your bottle is marked: "Federal law forbids the sale or reuse of this bottle" it was produced prior to 1964.
(I'd better expand on the answer to say that marking was used from 1933 until 1964.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:11:06 pm by Rauville »