Author Topic: Antique Bar Lighter  (Read 4501 times)

aj_houser

Antique Bar Lighter
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:31:10 pm »
I have found 2 of these.  I have been told they were used as cigar and cigarette lighters in drinking establishments years ago.  THe question I have is what period of time these would have been used in?  They are solid brass.  My understanding is the bartender had control of them and would swivel them out any time a patron needed a light.  Anyone ever seen these things or have any info about them?

Thanks

In addition a status update on the adventure of clearing out a garage full of stuff.  I have found things anywhere from a few dollar brass pieces up to a couple hundred dollar silver platters.  So far very happy I have saved these items from going to a scrap pile.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Antique Bar Lighter
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:53:13 pm »
I'm guessing that your items COULD be used for the purpose you've described , even so , I think they're elements from wall-mounted gaslights .
One thing to look for in such items are wear-marks from glass or iron 'globes' that may have been in place , near / on the end fitting of the unit .

Here's one , in the image below , from 1910 origin ... it's been in continual use in Victoria , British Colombia (Canada) at the Old Morris ... it's known as an 'Electrolier' in their tobacco 'shop' .
I've lit a cigar from this one .
The gas nozzle is attached to a monster 250 lb Mexican Onyx base .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:55:10 pm by regularjoe2 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:59:17 pm »
There's a pretty decent history of gas lighting on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_lighting

Gas lighting would have been in widespread use from the early 1800's to the early 1900's. But that's not to say it couldn't be earlier, or later. Different places got gas lighting at different times, bigger cities first and then it spread outward. It was replaced by electric lighting in much the same way, although there are still some places using gas lighting.

If there are any manufacturers marks that would really help to narrow it down.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

aj_houser

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:55:35 pm »
No I have spoken to the gentleman that owned the bar these came out of.  They were definitely used as lighters.  But it appears they may have been original to the building, and living in a small historic town it probably dates to 1870.  Perhaps as old as 1840.  But the town really did not sprout up until about 1850, when the US sold the old Fort off.  And since that period of time was a very difficult time for this area, the center of "Bloody Kansas", I would suspect improvements such as natural gas piping was about 20 years in the future.  Having done some research it was produced by a gentleman named Welsbach, who was well known for his gas lighting, but this was his first attempt to produce a cigar or cigarette lighter.  But in 1903 he succeeded and produced the first flint lighter, which the design of which is still used in todays modern day lighters.  Think Zippo and you can see he idea.  But as far as age goes, I would put this in the range of 1870 to 1880.  Now the issue is just trying to find what kind of value there is to this!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:18:27 pm »
Thanks for the additional info on your cool little items , aj_h .

Although they were prob. very handy in their day .... I think about the wisdom of having swinging flaming things in the same room with alcohol & men .... and well .................. it's easy to understand why we don't use them today .

I'll bet someone here will be able to find a representative value for your 2 items .

:)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:30 pm »
You might want to document your information and show proof of it to some Tobaccomania sites/collectors.  So unique, don't know as there is a current market value...but that is what should make this "rare".
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:02:59 am »
OK, think we're getting closer.......

http://live.vcaauction.com/Very-early-Hotel-lobby-type-wall-mount-cigar-lighter_i5279445

http://antiquesandthearts.com/AW0-07-18-2000-13-33-53

"Highlights of the 65-piece collection included a rare Vaseline hobnail glass advertising countertop kerosene lighter, marked "Owl Cigar Company New York and Florida," which sold for $2,000. A cast metal wall mounted allegorical figure gas cigar lighter measuring 12 inches in length sold for $1,800, and an Eldred "Our Special" snap handle lighter with cast cherub on elaborate metal base reached $1,680."

http://www.jacksonsauction.com/past_files/june_4th4.htm

"1097-A GAS WALL MOUNTED CIGAR LIGHTER late 19th c. Bronze bust of a cherub holding a torch which is the lighter. Lower body is a large leaf. Round wall mount has geometric designs. Highly polished. Working condition. H.8”. Out of Pittsburgh Men’s Club. Estimate........... .....$600-$800"

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:44:50 am »
I would think old west saloon collectors would be interested in this too.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 01:19:38 pm »

http://www.icollector.com/Gas-wall-mounted-figural-cigar-lighter_i9336203

1093-A RARE LATE 19TH C. WALL MOUNTED GAS CIGAR LIGHTER. Cast metal allegorical figure with dragon-like wings and a curled fish-like lower body. Figure holds a torch which is the lighter. Original gilding. Working condition. H.12”.  Estimate........... .....$1,700-$2,500

1097-A GAS WALL MOUNTED CIGAR LIGHTER late 19th c. Bronze bust of a cherub holding a torch which is the lighter. Lower body is a large leaf. Round wall mount has geometric designs. Highly polished. Working condition. H.8”. Out of Pittsburgh Men’s Club. Estimate........... .....$600-$800

http://www.jacksonsauction.com/past_files/june_4th4.htm

Not being an expert in this area....and from what we are seeing I would value yours in the area of $250 to $375.  I base this on the fact that it is a piece of history thus giving value to a piece.  I don't rate it as high as others because it appears that others have figurines/sculpture work and more ornate work to them which in turn increases their value.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:37:11 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

aj_houser

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 11:56:48 pm »
What is anyones guess should I attempt to clean the old patina from these or leave them as they are?

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 12:50:38 am »
I would leave the patina as is.  I have seen too many brass happy polishers buff years off antique objects and make them look like they were made and laquered yesterday.  JMO.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 06:32:35 am »
Agree Wayward I would leave them as they are.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 02:37:13 pm »
Agree with wayward and Wendy....that is what helps lend to it's age, novelty and value!!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:33:34 pm »
I'm with KC , wendy & waywardang ... just leave the old patina alone ; you can give it a 'wipe-down with a cotton cloth , just to get off any 'modern' patina that might be on it (dust,oil , etc.) , or that might get on the hands of a potential buyer .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

aj_houser

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 10:18:11 pm »
Anyone have any suggestions as to the best outlet to sell these items?