Author Topic: Large Pig Jar  (Read 4171 times)

newcollector

• View Profile
Large Pig Jar
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:33:47 pm »
So far what I got for info on this is that its made by libby, it hold 5 gallons. Amber color and says this little piggy on bottom. Does anyone know anything about it? is it old, is it original, is it worth selling?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Large Pig Jar
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:11 pm »
Think I may have stumbled across a hint to the origin of your jar. I know I have seen some over the years, usually used as a coin collecting bottle. Check out this description of a stained glass panel which uses the base of one of these jars for it's centerpiece.

http://www.dmstainedglass.com/gallery/artpanel/piggy.htm

"This Little Piggy Went to Market

The central piece of the Piggy window was harvested from the bottom of a giant pigs knuckles jar. The words This little piggy went to market are embossed around the pig."

Sorry no luck yet with a maker or date.

aj_houser

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:24:32 pm »
I have found a few in a range of colors and all said they were made by the Libbey Company.  Remember that cheesy glass snowman candy jar that EVERYONE had back in the 80's? Same company.  I think they also may have produced the glass planters peanut jar.  You know the one in the shape of the peanut mascot.  But on a positive note I did a search for this on ebay and found a libbey antique car glass jug that was listed at $250.  But it seemed to be new and compared to the other items way over priced.

newcollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 09:05:32 pm »
thank you both for the input