Author Topic: 1902-1903 Singer Treadle Sewing Machine  (Read 8197 times)

Monika

• View Profile
1902-1903 Singer Treadle Sewing Machine
« on: September 02, 2008, 11:01:46 pm »
Hello,

I've tried to research the history of this type of sewing machine.

From the serial number, I have found out that many were manufactured in New Jersey in 1902-1903.

I've been trying to restore it for the last month.

I've taken off the veneer and bought a new sheet to replace the chipped one. Have re-stained the drawers and painted the metal base with black rust paint. Hope to complete it sometime soon...

I know the sewing machines that date back to the 1850's have more value, but would like to know roughly how much one (with six digits) in general sells for in an antique shop?  Does anybody know how much they roughly sell for?

If you know of any links, otherwise; would appreciate it.
Note: The sewing machine looks similar to the one in the photo I attached.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:11:30 pm by Monika »

Tim

• View Profile
Re: 1902-1903 Singer Treadle Sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »
Restored, in working order and in a shop, I would expect to see machines of this era selling for $4-$500. Less condition, less value. They are a hard sell and restoring takes time and elbow grease, hence makes it even harder to make any money if selling.

At live auction, I see them sell for less than $100. They usually end up as plant stands or salvaged by the family because it was grandma's machine. Of course, being grandma's machine places a different value on it. Sentimental value, which is difficult to determine.

Monika

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:41 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to sell it - it has sentimental value + since I know how to sew - it is a nice piece of history to admire... lol

However, at the moment my sewing machine is in pieces... Hoping to finish it sometime soon.

I understand what you are saying. Thanks for the quote of the monetary value, though.

Do you know of any good live auctions to suggest? Where can you find a listing online?

Thanks for your help!

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »
on-line auctions can be deceiving. You have to figure in the cost of shipping, insurance, crating, etc. These costs can inhibit buyers from bidding. eBay still seems to be the leader, although there are others on-line.