Author Topic: Antique Dresser with Mirror questions (dark wood)  (Read 4542 times)

slipkid

• View Profile
Antique Dresser with Mirror questions (dark wood)
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »
I've had this dresser about 20 years - used to belong to a great Aunt.  I don't know anything about its history, where or when she got it. 

I would like to know more about it, approximately how old it is, how it was made, what kind of wood is it, approximate value, how to sell it if I decide to do that etc.

It measures about 50" high, 39" across, and 22" deep.

The feet are small wheels, and the front feet are ornate claws.

The wood appears to be stained a very dark cherry color - you can see the real wood color in the photo of one of the small drawers below.

It also has a circular mirror but I can't remember how it attaches (there are 2 swing up post type things on the back but I have no idea how the mirror attaches to that).

Some photos below.  Any comments appreciated.

waywardangler

Re: Antique Dresser with Mirror questions (dark wood)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »
You can date that by the drawer construction. I forget what they called those doweled machined joints.

slipkid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:18:21 pm »
You can date that by the drawer construction. I forget what they called those doweled machined joints.

Thanks for that clue.  That is pretty neat, about using the way the drawers are put together, to arrive at a time period.

Leads me to an obvious question though - where can I find out information about drawer construction to date it??  I am a total newbie at dating antique furniture.   

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:28 pm »
pin and cove dovetails I believe  c 1870-1890s  :)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:47:41 pm by wendy177 »

slipkid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56:45 pm »
pin and cove dovetails I believe  c 1870-1890s  :)

Wow, 1800's?  That is amazing.  I had no idea.  I was thinking maybe circa 1940 or something like that.

Anyone know what kind of wood would be used for this type of thing or what color the paint is?

I'm going to be moving so it's made me take stock of a lot of things & if this is valuable I'd like to sell it.  I realize this is really pushing my newbieness asking this but how do I go about that to get a fair price for this?  I'm afraid of just putting it on Craigslist and getting fleeced by an experienced dealer (I have a different Aunt/Uncle who were victimized by a very unscrupulous dealer a few years ago).

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:25:23 pm »
It is beautiful, in my neck of the woods it would bring about $200. At least that is what I would pay for it, someone else might pay a bit more. I think CL is your best bet for selling.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:01:34 pm »
Oh wow!! Beautiful piece you've got.......and it would soooooo go with my bed, right down to the color!!  Totally jealous  :'(

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:32:22 am »
It also has a circular mirror but I can't remember how it attaches (there are 2 swing up post type things on the back but I have no idea how the mirror attaches to that).

Slipkid, there should be matching screw/bolt holes in the top of the swing-up posts and on both sides of the mirror. If bolt holes (tilting mirror) they will be on the outside "edge" of the frame, ..... if screw holes they will be on the "backside" of the frame.

slipkid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:50:35 am »

Slipkid, there should be matching screw/bolt holes in the top of the swing-up posts and on both sides of the mirror. If bolt holes (tilting mirror) they will be on the outside "edge" of the frame, ..... if screw holes they will be on the "backside" of the frame.

Thanks. 

I wonder if I am missing something to do with the mirror.  The back of the cabinet has 2 wooden posts with holes in it that swing up, but the mirror is just a circular thing with a metal frame, no posts, no holes, or anything.  I need to look around more....I may be confused as to what is what.  I moved everything out of her house when I moved in here about 20 years ago, put the dresser in my bedroom but never setup the mirror part, left it stashed behind some other furniture in an extra bedroom.  Need to do some rooting around that other bedroom.  I can't recall if the mirror was attached when I took the dresser or what...

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:20:20 am »
Maybe the mirror is not original to the dresser.  Can you post a pic of the mirror, front and back, and the two post on the back of the dresser? That may be helpful to some members to know what they are looking at.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:15:51 pm »
Its a late Empire dresser and would date probably 1890 or so !!  Price is about right at around $200. !! This style has never been particularly popular with most people !! I have seen several pieces that look to be oak but found out the hard way that they were not !! Grain was faux painted and had a dark varnish applied afterward !! It is almost impossible to tell as the artists were very good !! Had a sideboard that had three different woods but all looked the same,,till I stripped it !!

slipkid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 01:01:10 pm »
Thanks for all the comments/clues.

I dug out the mirror & looked around some more - it is the only thing I have that came "with" this - however I now don't think it is "part" of the dresser.  I'm thinking now it was just hanging on the wall over the dresser, although I really don't remember for sure (it was 20 years ago that I cleaned out her apartment after she passed on).

The mirror itself has nothing that would attach to the dresser - it DOES have a picture hanging thing on the back.  I'm thinking now it must've just been hanging on the wall over the dresser.  Either that or I lost/threw away whatever else was there.  I don't know.

Below are some more photos of the dresser, also of the back of the mirror.   I noticed now that the dresser itself has 2 holes in each of the very top drawer things that also must have been used for mounting something else, like a mirror.

slipkid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 01:03:00 pm »
Here's a shot of the back of the mirror.

It only has a hanging picture frame wire thing that I can see.

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 02:25:08 pm »
I do not know that much about furniture styles but I do know that mirror does not go on the dresser.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 02:53:16 pm »
Without even seeing it I can pretty safely say that if it had a metal frame,, it did not go with this dresser !!