Author Topic: Antique Clay Pot  (Read 931 times)

maa1247

• View Profile
Antique Clay Pot
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:44:34 am »
I have what I believe to be an antique clay pot with 2 scroll type handles.  It measures about 10" tall - the widest point is about 8" andthe opening measures 4 3/4" diameter.  It appears to have had grapes with leaves possibly embossed with maybe  a scorpion.  The prime color is a earthy deep green or gray - there is no marks on this item.  Any ideas about this piece would be appreciated. 
Thank you
Mickie

maa1247

• View Profile
Re: Antique Clay Pot
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 11:56:37 am »
Also, there appears to be some gold in different places on the pot.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:42 pm »
How did you come to have this pot ?? 
Lets use a little Texas logic here !!  Why are the decorations gone,,not by accident,,certainly something would remain !!  This is clean down to the pot !! I would guess that they were removed before the final firing !! These decorations are molded and are sometimes harder to come by than the pot they are put on !! Either it was put on the wrong pot or the pot was just not good enough to justify their use !!  Maybe a student potter !!
Perhaps the pot was kept just for a keepsake,, maybe the person who made it was a relative who passed !!  Maybe it was just to toss change in like we have on occasion !!  Who knows !! But for whatever reason it was left like it is now !!  No way to know who made it !!  Looks like a turned or thrown piece from the lines inside !!  Not a molded one !! It does show some age but thats  about all one can tell !!  Value,, not much,, but if a story came with the pot some people will buy for the story regardless of what the pot looks like !!

maa1247

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:26:05 am »
Thank you Mart

Elekland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 10:14:58 am »
I picked up this fascinating antique clay pot today! It stands about 10 inches tall and has the widest point around 8 inches. The opening is about 4 and ¾ inches in diameter. The coolest part is the design – it seems to have grapes and leaves embossed on it, maybe even a scorpion! The main color is a deep, earthy green or maybe even gray. There aren't any markings on it, which makes me even more curious about its  origin.  I'd love to learn more about this piece – any ideas what it might be?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 11:12:56 pm by KC »

yimole6287

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 03:31:56 pm »
I picked up this fascinating antique clay pot today! It stands about 10 inches tall and has the widest point around 8 inches. The opening is about 4 and ¾ inches in diameter. The coolest part is the design – it seems to have grapes and leaves embossed on it, maybe even a scorpion! The main color is a deep, earthy green or maybe even gray. There aren't any markings on it, which makes me even more curious about its  origin.  I'd love to learn more about this piece – any ideas what it might be?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 10:46:38 pm by KC »