Author Topic: Rocking Chair, Nichols & Stone Co  (Read 17065 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Rocking Chair, Nichols & Stone Co
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:35:26 am »
Okay fellow antiquers.....could use some help on this and a few more I am posting....  My  cousin got this at a garage sale for near to nothing.  Would like your feed back on this!  The arms reflect an older model with the grooves but I can't date the marking.  Know this is prior to purchase by Stickley Furniture...

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

Re: Rocking Chair, Nichols & Stone Co
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:05:38 pm »
Nice rocker KC!  Does your cousin need any company on his/her garage sale excursions?  I am sure there are many here that would like to get in on great deals like that rocker!  I hit garage sales every week but have not seen a rocker as nice as that for the money.

Have you looked at this site http://www.nicholsandstone.com/OurStory.cfm ?  Seems after the 1930s they really specialized in Windsor chairs and Boston rockers.  This rocker appears to be a mix of both but I am not well versed in furniture styles.  The stamp seems to be common on chairs thru the 1960s.

OMG!  Look here if you want to see a totally awful refinish to an original N&S chair...http://pearlespainting.blogspot.com/2010/02/500-nichols-stone-windsor-chair.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:13:49 pm by waywardangler »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:11:08 pm »
Here's one like it on Worthpoint. They refer to the style as "Windsor comb back" but maybe D & B could comment on if that is correct.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/nichols-stone-maple-windsor-comb-back-rocking
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 03:26:08 pm »
Wayward, whoever "restored" that poor chair deserves to be reported to the SPCA! (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Antiques)

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 04:12:13 pm »
I heartily agree, talesof!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »
it's a Windsor style brace back. average value is $125.00 Dollars. the other chair that's mentioned needs to be put down.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »
D&B you're gonna get me fired! I just laughed out loud at work!!! How does one euthanize a Windsor chair I wonder?!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:52:28 pm »
Oh My Goodness.........I agree that chair needs to be sent to chair heaven!   I generally like wild/modern....but.....that really pushed it.....

As far as my cousin's chair,that is what I was figuring on the chair as well...although the condition on this chair should bring it slightly higher.  They got it for $20 and it is in immaculate shape! 

Sure wish I could find out the makers' marks/logos in this company and the time line for them.  There just doesn't seem to be one for them....even tho they are noted as the longest running furniture maker in the USA (1762 Nichols Brothers then 1907 he acquired a partner and changed name to Nichols & Stone).  Of course in 2008 Stickley bought "intellectual property rights" and designs.... and still claims years of operation from it!

I have been on some garage sale and antiquing bouts with them when I was visiting...and have gotten some great buys/finds.  Unfortunately, the small towns near them in the south have people selling on the sides of the road just to get some money.  I will post some buys I got on this recent trip soon.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!