Author Topic: Sinclair-Scott Co of Baltimore MD  (Read 14943 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Sinclair-Scott Co of Baltimore MD
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:16:07 pm »
I was wondering if anyone might have better luck than I about finding out when the Sinclair-Scott Company of Baltimore Maryland was in the business of producing mechanical apple peelers. (Yup I'm about to nab one!) This company, like many metal manufacturers of the day produced at least two items- Apple peelers and cars. They produced an automobile called "The Maryland" beginning at an unspecified time period and through at least 1910.

I find them in business publications as early as 1897:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ykUCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA43&dq=Sinclair-Scott+baltimore&hl=en&ei=fBeqTJnaG4e8sAP7zPTcDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Sinclair-Scott%20&f=false

and as late as 1917:
http://books.google.com/books?id=zrcsAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA65&dq=Sinclair-Scott+baltimore&hl=en&ei=fBeqTJnaG4e8sAP7zPTcDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Sinclair-Scott%20&f=false

Can anyone locate more detailed info about what they made at different periods in time?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:18:13 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Sinclair-Scott Co of Baltimore MD
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:58:16 pm »
Started out making food canning/paring equipment then started making car parts in 1900's.  Customer went defunct and they acquired a motor company and started producing the MARYLAND car in 1904 to 1910.

Scott  Apple Parer 1880
http://www.google.com/patents?id=cStvAAAAEBAJ&printsec=description&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Scott Parer 1882
http://www.google.com/patents?id=NYtcAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=Scott+parer&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q=Scott%20parer&f=false

Scott Apple parer Aug 14 1883
http://www.google.com/patents?id=3nlNAAAAEBAJ&printsec=description&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Scott Patent 331,451   Peach Paring Machine  Dec 1, 1885
http://www.google.com/patents?id=2wdxAAAAEBAJ&printsec=description&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

The NEW Scott Mfg Company was noted in 1887 with new board of directors but shows patents older than this in paperworks.
First mention of Sinclair Scott Company in newspaper archives was Feb 25 1891

Patents shows  SINCLAIR SCOTT submitted in 1950 and approved in 1952 which is an improvement of Patent # 331,451 for Scott Peach Parer - If you note on the second page of this parer it shows that the first parer this patent was an improvement from was 1872.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=uehQAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
Awesome! Thats just what I was looking for KC! Thanks!!!  :D

I'll have to read through the patents and figure out which parer/corer/peeler when I have it in hand I think and can look at the details of it in person. It's tough to tell looking at photos. These Sinclair-Scott peelers seem to do a good job of getting a thin, fine, peel from the fruit from what I can see online.

I bake apple pies and I've got just the right spot on the ol' Hoosier for a good, functional, antique peeler.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:21:08 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:46:22 pm »
Boy am I jealous!  We just planted 2 apple trees but in the mean time, I always raid the neighbors trees and can Apple Pie Filling.  A few weekends ago I peeled 2 Home depot buckets of smallish sized apples. 

My hands hurt for 2 days!!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:21:51 pm »
I know what you mean Oceans64! Even though I only bake one to two pies at a time, peeling can be a long and laborious task! I am SO looking forward to having this peeler! The auction closed this evening and I got it by the skin of my teeth. (Or should I say by the peel of my apple!!) There were other ones out there, but I had my eye on this particular one. (I'll get into why on the Ebay topic, it was a rather interesting auction)

I came home tonight and spent some time comparing the patent drawings to the large size images from the auction and it looks like I've got the R.P. Scott model from 1880. Compare Figure 1 on the 1880 patent drawing to the top photo.

Thanks KC, these patent drawings were REALLY helpful! ;D

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:25:00 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 10:55:19 am »
My miracle of 19th century technology arrived yesterday. Freakin' cool as all heck- Seven gears turning in all directions and an articulating arm on a cog that lifts itself up and resets itself at the beginning of the apple. Peels a whole apple in seconds with a nice thin peel. I'm going to see if I can make a little cell phone video of it for you guys.

Turns out it wasn't oiled, just very clean. The shiney look in the photo seems to have been a cell phone effect. Nonetheless I gave the prongs that hold the apple and the cutting wheel (which is still very sharp) a good scrubbing then oiled them with a light coat of olive oil. It looks to have been very well cared for.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:59:26 am by talesofthesevenseas »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:47:21 pm »
Love it Tales it looks wonderful and I think it has found the perfect home !!! I want one  :D

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 04:55:51 pm »
Is Olive Oil better than mineral oil for food items?  I have a meat platter that I bought in South Africa that I use Mineral Oil on...  Hope I'm not poisoning anyone...  :-[

That is really cool...  It looks great!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:05:32 pm »
I use mineral oil on my wood items, olive oil on cast iron. If you are using USP food grade mineral oil that is fine. I just use the olive oil because it is what I started out using on cast iron and I've been happy with the results I get with it. I first used it on an outdoor bronze and iron door knocker, and it does a great job at keeping the rust away. Food grade mineral oil is fantastic for wood that is unstained. I use it on my wood Hoosier and wood kitchen items like my antique rolling pin.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 05:13:41 pm »
I use food grade mineral oil on my wood fish cleaning board and also on wood cutting boards for the house.  Works great like Tales said!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 08:27:36 pm »
Ditto!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 07:39:36 pm »
Here's a video of the apple peeler in action, peeling a whole apple in under three seconds:

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/talesofthesevenseas/?action=view&current=ApplePeelerVideo-1.mp4

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 08:57:11 pm »
That looks cool and fun TOT7S.I bet kids would love to help in the kitchen if this marvel is around.
Yum, homemade apple pie ;)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 09:23:27 pm »
Nice little machine , talesof !

Now comes the part where you put the hubby to work peelin' !

Pic below is an 1898 Goodell peeler that got posted O/L today for $145 ( way , way not as nice as yours !) .
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:30:47 pm by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »
Nice!

Does yours cut it as well?  We have one that does that too....but if you don't have perfectly round apples it goes caddy-wompus.
Great for cobblers, dehydrating, preserves, pork chops w/apples & sweet taters, etc.....  YUM!