Author Topic: Cast Iron Patio Furniture - Antique or Mid-20th Century?  (Read 10962 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Cast Iron Patio Furniture - Antique or Mid-20th Century?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 03:03:16 am »
Some trivial info:

I once had a really neat cast iron item, a “Lazy Susan” for a wood cookstove, that I was going to get “repros” made and was going to sell them. That was back in the 70’s when wood burning stoves became the “rage”.

But, t’was not to be, I was told by a foundry owner that intricate cast iron pieces such as trivets, the pictured lawn/patio furniture, etc., etc. has not been produced in the US since long before the 1950’s and I would have to get someone in Mexico to make my “thingys”.

The reason being, the intricate mold designs required that the molten cast iron remain “fluid” long enough for it to flow to every little nook and cranny of the mold ….. before it solidified.

And for molten cast iron to do that it needs to have potassium (I believe it was) added to it. And well “duh”, when steel became the “metal of choice” in the US no one wanted any potassium added to that molten iron ore at the foundry. And thus, that signaled the end of “intricately molded” cast iron products in the US.

So, if one finds any new or repros pieces now days, they were most likely made in Mexico or where ever.

Cheers

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 08:19:20 am »
Great info Cogar

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 09:05:53 am »
There were some cast iron items (outdoor furniture & o/s umbrella bases) from China , produced in the 1990's , that were recalled due to ....get this - radioactivity .

No kidding .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 10:11:06 pm »
Guess I had better see if mine glows in the dark!!!!!!!!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery