Author Topic: Before you ask for advice...  (Read 51645 times)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Before you ask for advice...
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »
I'm just going to chime in on the "Newbie" issue ... suggest that the "Newbie" forum-member title gets 86'ed , replace it with "New Member" to end the debate .

My bottom line on the other issues , where some folks have gotten a bit put-off by other members' posts/responses ...... well , ya' just can't control how someone else reacts (both sides of the coin) to what gets said here (or anywhere) .

Some here are light-hearted , light-headed (like me) , crusty , brittle , friendly , flinty & everything in between .... seems to me that almost every forum member is good-intentioned .

I just try to keep a sort of 'cowboy ethic' here (Can't we all just git along , little doggies ?) , but not always sucessfully .

Lorna

• View Profile
Whoops! I am a newbie also
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 09:33:25 am »
Yikes, I guess I goofed up as well. I will read through a little bit more before I doing any more posting...

Lorna

Wow, I just asked a question for the first time and in reading this reply I feel like I shouldn't have asked my question.
I'm surprised someone didn't chastise me. I probably didn't give enough info either with my question. I'm so sorry if I wasted someones time.
I thought this would be more  friendly, didn't know there were clssifications like "newbie".
Thanks for the folks who took time to answer.
Linny

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 02:15:28 pm »
Lorna, I do not believe that you goofed up at all.  Your post on limoges was on the mark.  You received a good reply.  Everyone on this board is pretty friendly and civil but there is some dry and not so dry humor involved once in awhile.  Sometimes it is hard to determine the "mood" of a post and that is what I think 'Linny' was taken aback by and the term 'newbie'.  If you read the whole thread, I think it was explained quite well.  I have seen the term 'newbie' used on many other sites and no offense is meant by it.  So, Lorna, Post On!

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »
"Newbie" is the default name of a new poster in the forum software.
It has been changed to regularjoes recommendation.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:08:07 pm by dontbe »
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 12:01:39 pm »
Everyday I wake up I act like a Newbie!  LOL   But on this site I guess I am an Oldie!  LOL

This site is one of the greatest FREE sites you will ever see on the web!  Free to ask, Free to browse and Free advice given! 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mylittlebubs

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:37 pm »
aw..thank you
I'm very new to antiques and I will try my best to find info by myself first before asking here. If i get annoying please let me know,lol  ;D

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 03:09:48 am »
I can't post any new topics -- it tells me there's n internal server error.  I see others are posting new tpics, though -- am I banned from posting new topics for some reason???

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 07:12:52 am »
Seriously!  I haven't been able to post my question for three days now!  I see others are posting new questions, so why can't I?

I get this, every time, no matter what browser I use:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, cgiadmin@yourhostingaccount.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:18:04 am by CuriousCollector »

findit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 07:50:38 am »
Hello CuriousCollector, Please contact me at findit@antique-shop.com, or unsecure@elser.net. if you are having issues with the forum.
you can also call me at 706-399-0247 if you want some direct help. Hows that for customer service at a free, low advertising forum?

of course.. i didnt answer your question! Im not sure why you are getting that error. I will see if I can find anything that might be causing it.

regards, Ed
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:55:01 am by findit »

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 10:03:39 am »
Now, that's service!  Thanks! -- email coming your way.

GreatestCollectibles.com

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 01:30:04 pm »
Some great points. I think what can't be stressed enough is taking great images. This way you can email the pictures to antique dealers or experts who specialize in that area.

I have received some great replies thanks to providing good images in the past but most importantly bein corteous in the email ank making it sort helps as some dealers will send you to someone who can give you more information if they don't knoe the answer.

gisela
greatestcollectibles.com

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 09:12:25 pm »
Can you post more than one question/post in the question forum (the one we post pics and questions of what an item is or worth)? Sorry if this sounds mixed up, my brain is still not in working order (post brain surgery).
Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:14:46 pm by xmelax38 »
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

angela_grace

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 09:20:17 am »
Excellent advice. I will certainly do so before posting the picture I have of the items. I must admit, I am a little eager to see what everyone else thinks they are - but I will do a little research in advance. Thanks again!

dj-seller

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 03:44:25 pm »
i just want to ask if someone knows what GAM means on antique ring and has hallmark/sign like a little umbrella...i looked up on internet and everything but nothing showed for that kind of ring...if that's not enough i'll post a photo on Monday or Tuesday!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:47:40 pm by dj-seller »

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 07:17:17 pm »
I am posting here and there, but I don't know where to ask this question. My husband bought what is supposed to be a WWII German Helmet. Would it be okay to post a photo of it in the forum due to it having a swastika on it and possibly being offensive to some people. I wasn't sure it was appropriate or not. Let me know what you think.  :)

Thank you.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.