Author Topic: Is this a lithograph?  (Read 1597 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Is this a lithograph?
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:21:48 am »
I'll start with something that has stumped me for years. It is badly damaged but I love it and would like to know more about it. Date? Any value? Worth fixing or even if it can be.

I don't know anything about art. From what I have read I think it might be a lithograph. It is a print of some type. It was in an old frame and the wood behind it was broken and warped. No paper backing, no glass. The picture just sat in it with no protection. They had water damage from the roof and were smokers.

About the frame: All I can make out from the tag on the back is it was some type of warehouse in Lindsay. I imagine that would be Lindsay, Ontario, Canada. he company started with a G and ended with an N. They were dealers in plain and ornamental room paper, something to do with artists. Alabastine & Room Mouldings.

About the picture: The whole thing (paper size) is just under 20x19 inches. The actual picture is almost 14x13 inches.
In handwriting it says: xmas 91. I was around for 1991 so it must mean 1891. It says Painted by Frank Paton. C. Taber & co

I have read about Frank Patton. I just can't seem to find anything about this exact picture.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Is this a lithograph?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:22:57 am »
This is the frame:

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »
Was this information just written on the back by someone? Is the name spelled Paton or Patton ?  Frank Paton did do many animal paintings but I have looked for the last 1 1/2 hours and can only find one greyhound, a few whippets and a few italian greyhounds but none like yours that were painted by him !!  If they made etchings or prints we should be able to find it somewhere !!  Possibly the name was Patton and they spelled it wrong when they wrote it ??  I admit that the print looks like Patons work just can`t figure why its so hard to find !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »
Hi Mart: It was a typo on my part. Sorry.

Here are some photographs that will clarify things:

Under the picture left side is where it says Frank Paton.
Under the picture centered is the title "VIC"
Under the picture on the right is Taber &co
Handwritten xmas '91

I can relate! I have spent countless hours searching for this over the past years and have come up with nothing. I appreciate you taking the time to look.