Author Topic: Best Metal Teapot  (Read 1830 times)

Mindings

• View Profile
Best Metal Teapot
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:24:34 am »
I was left a very ornate Teapot by an Aunt some years ago. It does not bear any markings other than "Best Metal" From it's history I would probably date it from the first half of the 20th Century. The metal looks like pewter, but does develop some slight tarnishing with time.

My question however is: Does anyone know the composition of Best Metal?

Phil

waywardangler

Re: Best Metal Teapot
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:37:29 am »
Some pics of the teapot and a clear closeup of the markings would be appreciated by all that vists this forum.  Welcome, Mindings.

I did a cursory search and found a pewter ladle marked "Ashberry's Best Metal Warranted for Use". It also had a V, a crown, and an R marking under the handle.  It was listed as 19th C.  So your teapot may be pewter.

Mindings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 02:01:29 pm »
Thanks. I must get some photo's in future. I was mostly interested in how the "Best Metal" description came about but I have only seen it mentioned a couple of times without much detail. Brittania Metal on the other hand is well documented.

I cannot find any other marks, but when I get a chance I will post a picture.

Phil :)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:20:17 am »
Not a clue here, have never heard the term. It almost sounds like a marketing term from the maker.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:39:56 am »
Maybe it was a "2nd", ..... a reject with a flaw ......... so they just put the "Best Metal" mark on it and sold it as is.

I wouldn't think they would put their "name" on it if it wasn't a quality piece.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:19:47 pm »
There is a free download for a catalog called "Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware" (a pdf).  If you google it and down load it go to pages 26 and 27.  There are 2 logos and 3 companies listed.  They are
J & J Beal or Cocker Brothers LTD
H Best, Birmingham (1814) Close Plating Ref 1967
Best & Wastidge, Sheffield (1816) Plating Ref. 1967

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!