Author Topic: Duncan Phyfe Table - Real or Fake?? PLEASE HELP  (Read 8660 times)

ntumbagahan

• View Profile
Duncan Phyfe Table - Real or Fake?? PLEASE HELP
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:19:37 am »
I have a, what appears to be a 2 pedistal, drop-leaf, clawed footed, 1-leaved, mahogany Duncan Phyfe Dining Table. The only problem is, it has a brass plate labeled Craddock Dependable Furniture on it. I was wondering of you could tell me if this was something Duncan Phyfe would have on their furniture, or is this a reproduction of a Phyfe table?

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Duncan Phyfe Table - Real or Fake?? PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »
Duncan Phyfe worked in several styles of furniture from 1792-1847. Many furniture companies as Craddock which I believe was in Evansville Indiana in the 1940's produced the styles of the day. Styles like the lyre-shaped pedestal tables that are called Duncan Phyfe were actually more of an Empire style. Revival pieces such as yours are commonly called Duncan Phyfe in style.

best..........Tim

grubbkrista

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 01:53:24 pm »
I also am in possession of a dining table that looks like a Duncan Phyfe.  It has one leaf that is stored "in" the table.  It is actually under the table and once the table is pulled apart, the leaf can be unfolded.  There are no distinguishing labels that give me information on the manufacturer that I can find.  It does appear to be mahogany (or at least mahogany stained).  The numbers 73-3 appear on each of the pedestals and on the bottom of the table.  AS I live in Indiana, I wonder if this possibly a Craddock?  If so, would you be able to give me an estimated value?

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 09:06:08 pm »
Hi........Photos can tell a lot more than guessing but this style of dining table is pretty common. Most were veneer. Solid Mahogany are more valuable and usually older. Most retail in the $200-$300 range depending on condition.
best.........Tim 8)