Author Topic: Can anyone give me some info on these lamps?  (Read 2018 times)

EuroZ24

• View Profile
Can anyone give me some info on these lamps?
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »
my friend gave me these two lamps to sell.  he told me that he bought them from a antique store, and that they may have been rewired.  they are brass and the only stamp i can find on them says "G I M 925".  Can someone tell me what years they can be from? how much they are worth?

Thanks in Advance,

Photos:

EuroZ24

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone give me some info on these lamps?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:15:41 pm »
Anyone???

Here is another photo of the bottom and the stamp, hoping someone can help me out on this.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:37:45 pm »
From the lamp shade/style/wiring they look to be mid 1900's....and they do not look antique (over 100 years). Could possibly be vintage (50 years).

Can't tell condition or wiring....$15 ea or $30 pair.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

EuroZ24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »
$30 for the pair? it seems like they are worth more their weight in brass than as lamps.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:58:55 pm »
Very unlikely there Brass. just a brass finish. Buying from and antique shop Will not guarantee there authenticity or value.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:34:22 pm »
From the look of the underside....it isn't consistent with typical aging of brass.  It appears painted or finished brass.

Sorry!  However, we are just going by observation of your pictures.  If you feel that I am in error I highly suggest you get a hands-on inspection from a reputable person in your area.

Like D&b related, just because it is from an antique store doesn't make it antique.

In fact, I would be willing to say (In my opinion) that 50% or more of items in "antique" stores aren't antique (over 100 years old) and could be higher.  The highly reputable ones even have some vintage in them (over 50 years of age).  What do the rest of you on the forum think?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:50:44 pm »
A few years a go on tv. and antique appraiser payed a visit to  various antique shop's in the area. the marjority were selling fake reproductions etc. need less to say he was asked to leave along with his camera crew.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:55:06 pm »
Pretty sad because the "lay" person usually can't see the difference. I think the store people should have to tell a customer exactly what they are getting before they pay for it. After all, "antique" means 100 years. Should be called a "Vintage and Antiques" store. Looks like painted pot metal or some other cast metal. Still pretty lamps, just not worth much. The spider chillin' in the bottom creeps me out. :P

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 04:12:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum , EuroZ24 .

Looks like your item has got some 'heft' to it .

Various metal surfaces seem to have surfaces that have been finished in different manners .

Newish hardware indicate , perhaps , a re-wire job .

Generally , high-quaility cast metal items have got high-quality casts , and where the casts/molds meet , there's very 'tight' clearance between them .
High-quality brass castings tend to have finish-work (hand grinding/filing/burnishing) that completely removes 'flash' (mold/cast) lines from the finished product , especially those intended for display .

As to the other observations : I've seen furniture of true antique age , displayed side-by-side , with modern repos . In this same shop (in Kansas City , Mo. c1991) , I overheard the 'counter-person' tell a customer that one was less expensive because "It's not as old as the other one." .
I took the intended victim aside & told them why the prices 'varied' on many items in the shop .

Saw one 'shop' where they had a modern dope-pipe display cabinet near the back , and a VCR tape section .

Wondering what's next ... a "Kwik-E-Mart Antiques" ?

Oy vey !
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:10:27 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "