Author Topic: mitterteich bavaria china  (Read 11060 times)

mymomdb

• View Profile
mitterteich bavaria china
« on: December 05, 2004, 09:12:26 am »
I recently received a 12 peice tea set from my grandmother,
she bought this set in paris in the late 1950's. it has gold rose
leafs all around and all of the trim is in what appears to be very
thick gold. The bottoms are all stamped with a logo and
Mittertiech Bavaria,any idea how old this is or how I can find out.
Thanks for any help          Dawn

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 08:24:57 pm »
Mitterteich has been in business since about 1918 - and they still are - interestingly, they seem to use some of the same marks over long time periods, so even some prestigious web sites can't identify dates with certainty - prices and values?  A huge range - a lot of their pieces were definitely in the "affordable" category - and others are considerably more - elaborate decoration and lots of gold adds to the value - here's a site that has quality porcelain items:  most of the Mitterteichs are sold, so prices don't show, but the pictures are still there -

www.efineantiques.c om

and a bit of history & pics of marks -

http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.firmitas.de

KB      :)

ginni

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 11:32:46 am »
Actually,

The Mitterteich company was founded in 1882 as The Mosanic Pottery Max Emanuel & Co, in Mitterteich.  Early pieces are marked Austria.  I cannot discover the history behind Mitterteich now being in Germany.  (Mitterteich is about 6 miles from the Czech border)  It is possibly some of the border changes that happened after WWI.  

1918 The Mosanic Pottery Max Emanuel & Co converted to Porcelain Facctory Mitterteich.  It produced household porcelain, coffee and tea sets, gift articles.  The factory is still in operation today and has a Web site.  

There are different marks for different time periods.  

ginni