Author Topic: Found this fun Hemingway book trunk  (Read 3700 times)

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Re: Found this fun Hemingway book trunk
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 11:22:32 am »

Did anyone notice that on the "Little Women" book binding....the author is Louisa Nae Alcott; not Louisa May Alcott?

I didn't bother reading the titles/authors ... but I definitely agree with icedgold10, ..... the name is intentionally misspelled to evade a "copyright" law suite.

I have seen brand new fake/reproduced pottery with an old, old name (mark) such as Staffordshire, ...... with one (1) character being misspelled, like so, Stuffordshire or Staffordshure.   

Buyer Beware,      :'( :'( :'( :'(

And ps, why would anyone call those above pictured "thingys" a "book trunk".

Me thinks a more appropriate name would be a "book" safe, ..... a "safe" place for hiding valuables in "plain sight".

Put your cash money in one of them and place it on a shelf in your book case alongside or in between other books.

Alright Cogar....I'd agree with the book safe comment because that's what they are called today.  But, please explain to me why only one of the three author's names was misspelled???  I anxiously await your comment :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »
Well...these are not regular sized books (pretty obvious) and they were made to be tables or stools.  Just like many side tables so many of these open up/lift up or the books themselves are drawers.

If you search "stacked booked table" you will see a whole lot of them.

The company that was most renowned for importing them (and it would have their name on it if it was one of theirs - very well made) was Maitland-Smith and they started importing and/or manufacturing them around 20+ years ago.  Maitland-Smith is a 30-31 year old company.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 03:59:54 pm »
In response to SophieMarie:

“But, please explain to me why only one of the three author's names was misspelled??? “

OOPS, I wasn’t aware of that fact.

My BAD”, …..and that’s because, like I originally stated, ….. I didn't bother reading the titles/authors ...

Therefore, I have to discredit my 1st opinion and offer a 2nd one that is most probably the correct one.

So, given the fact that only one (1) mistake or misspelled word was found in the titles and author’s names of the three (3) books in question, ....... and the mistake consisted of the letter “N” being used instead of the letter ”M” (Nay verses May), …… it is of my learned opinion that it was the “engraver” or “typesetter” that made the mistake when the "printing plates" were made …… and thus every one of that “production run” of book safes had the same misspelled author’s name.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 07:27:40 pm »
KC,

You are correct....I forgot the item was about 2 foot tall. 

Cogar,

The author's name is spelled "Nae" instead of May....so only the "a" is right....

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 08:22:32 am »
Cogar,

The author's name is spelled "Nae" instead of May....so only the "a" is right....

OH MY MY, …. Sophie Marie, ...... my only excuse for such simple mistakes is probably due to the fact that I am a little more than 6 months into my 78th trip around the Sun and my once great thinking, reasoning, memory recall and physical attributes have been afflicted somewhat here of lately due to my lengthy trip.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, on a more serious note, both the typesetter’s screw-up in/of the “misspelling” of the name …… and my “screwup” in the "optical" recognition of the “misspelled” name, …… is pretty much literal proof that there is oftentimes a “recall” translation error between what the subconscious mind is “uploaded” with via the “visual” sense organs (or the “auditory” sense organs) and what it “translates” and presents to the conscious mind for its “choice” making interpretation(s).

To explain what I am talking about via the afore noted …… uploaded vision data, ……. to the subconscious mind’s “best-guess/most-likely” recalled interpretation or modification of said vision data, …… to said interpreted/modified data being presented to the conscious mind, ….. mistakes can be introduced in the translated visual data, ….. but more commonly, mistakes in the visual data are corrected prior to it being presented to the conscious mind. And here is a test or exercise that proves that fact, to wit:

Here is a list of 12 misspelled words. See how long it takes you to interpret each word as if it was spelled correctly.

ltteer
mses
wouthit
iprmoetnt
istlef
raed
bcuseae
wrod
porbelm
frist
huamn
lsat

Not so easy to do, right? (for most people that is)

OK, now see how easily you can read a few of those same words that are included in the following paragraph.

Just QUICKLY read the following paragraph. DON’T stop to ponder the spelling of the word(s), just continue reading like you would when reading any sentence or paragraph. Then do it a 2nd time. To wit:

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!"

So, was it quite easy for you to successfully read that paragraph both times, or just the 2nd time?

Amazing huh. A simple proof that one’s conscious mind is subservient to …. whatever one’s environment nurtured their subconscious mind to be (capable of).

Cheers, ….. Samuel C Cogar

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 09:24:47 am »
Cogar,, I hate mis-spelled words !!  Took me a while to read it because I had to correct the spelling as I went along !! Not physically just in my head !!   ;D  Have a bit of OCD about spelling !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 12:36:11 pm »
Mart, I was just sorta “in-the-mood” for posting a CYA for my two silly mistakes in Reply #14 and Reply #17 ….. and got carried away with composing the “piffle” like trivia included in Reply #19.

“DUH”, I definitely should have …… “put my brain in gear before putting my fingers in motion” …. when I composed and posted this unsubstantiated comment, to wit:

I didn't bother reading the titles/authors ... but I definitely agree with icedgold10, ..... the name is intentionally misspelled to evade a "copyright" law suite.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 02:44:01 pm »
I thought it kind of fun Cogar !!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 08:16:01 pm »
I thought it was fun too Cogar!  Love word scramble....aced it, yaye!