Author Topic: 1694 gold antique  (Read 13318 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: 1694 gold antique
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 08:40:23 am »
Was it King of Things? No idea.

I stopped posting there because of rudeness from a couple of regulars (NOT King of Things, who seems like a jovial sort). One of them seems to have stopped posting. Anyway, the vast majority are good folks, but you know what they say about a couple of bad apples.

This is supposed to be fun, so when people start acting like ****s, I'm out.

Same reason I stopped going there !!  Not only rude but gave totally wrong information  !!  There is no discussion there,, its they are right and you are wrong,,period !!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 08:48:54 am »
I comment on things there from time to time because over there more items show up that are in my area of interest, but I cannot say that I like the general atmosphere. A few times I was close to leaving that other forum.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 09:07:35 am »
I comment on things there from time to time because over there more items show up that are in my area of interest, but I cannot say that I like the general atmosphere. A few times I was close to leaving that other forum.

Try the Kovels forum,, then I will not have to hunt you up !!  Lord knows they need help !!  So far,, I am the only one there !!  Friedrich pops in ocassionally for German porcelain !!  Those that ask questions do seem appreciative !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 09:14:15 am »
Yeah, so weird, especially for someone who was such a core member and whose posts seem to have mostly consisted of puns and jokes.

I guess if you're not there all the time, then you'll miss the "interesting" things.

Well, you know, there is only so much depression era furniture that can hold my interest before i tend to drift off, ditto here. My collecting area is SO SMALL that you almost never see it except when i post about it.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 09:15:26 am »
 A few times I was close to leaving that other forum.

Dang! what happened Mat?

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 09:47:22 am »
Dang! what happened Mat?

Nothing extraordinary, it is just that people tend to forget to say thank you once they get their info, and other "big" members sometimes just ignore the info I post. I don't like the attitude of some people over there...

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 10:14:54 am »
Dang! what happened Mat?

Nothing extraordinary, it is just that people tend to forget to say thank you once they get their info, and other "big" members sometimes just ignore the info I post. I don't like the attitude of some people over there...

Right? In my last post or two there were a couple of people - one of whom is a "big" core member with thousands of posts - that were rude enough that I just let things die, never to return. And what Mart said is true as well. Even before all this I was getting wrong information and misidentifications to the point that I was ready to hang it up anyway.  It seems that Brad and Jacon were the only ones on the furniture forum with alot of knowledge; in fact, Brad's even-keel, adult approach is the only thing that kept me there at all. And yes, lots of ignoring went on as well.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 10:40:40 am »
Hmmmmmm, a tude problem huh, well that's to bad. King just seemed to hang around and kibitz from what i know, harmless type joking, nothing real serious.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 10:44:44 am »
Now, I am feeling totally left out....King of Things?  What forum?

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 11:10:35 am »
LOL, You've been MISSING OUT! All the cool kids are there! Basically a group of ebay refugees from ebay antique forums that formed this site a couple years ago.
https://www.antiquers.com/

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 11:18:31 am »
I stumbled in there several months ago after the old woman was whining about traffic being down to this site & figured that a bit of research was in order. But alas, NO ONE collects what i collect there either so after a bit of posting there, i settled into the same pattern as here. Very few posts unless something i think is special coming up for sale or like now, trying to figure out what the drama is all about. :(

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 11:22:44 am »
Thanks for the summary Jacon!

Now what makes your socks go up and down?

What exactly do you collect and/or buy?

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 11:36:08 am »
Well, the Bird chest is my fav at the moment. Boston Ca 1690-1710 Riven Oak & Pine. One of aprox 20 known to exist, most in museums, only one with it's paint still intact, at the Brooklyn Museum

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 12:21:43 pm »
Wow!  That's something else....one of 20 - good for you:)

Have you been collecting furniture a long time now?

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 12:32:18 pm »
Yeah, has, a loooooooooooong time. Early american furniture, EARLY! not the 1930s! The above chest of drawers was built by a joiner, not a cabinetmaker. Joiners built furniture for centuries, usually from riven oak and kept their dominate position in furniture until the 18th century when cabinetmakers took over. The above chest is a joined chest of drawers, with a nod to the coming age of cabinetmakers with the single dovetail on the side hung drawers.