Author Topic: Have you played the Antiques Roadshow Drinking Game?!!  (Read 2959 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Have you played the Antiques Roadshow Drinking Game?!!
« on: August 15, 2009, 12:56:26 am »
You have to have a drink every time they say veneer, exquisite, luster, or provenance!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Have you played the Antiques Roadshow Drinking Game?!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 04:31:32 am »
The only word you listed I hear a lot on the show is provenance.  I get a kick out of the smiles, wobbly feet, etc. when told what the appraiser 'thinks' their item is worth.  It's like they were handed a check at the time.  Not that most the appraisals are that outlandish but some seem to be.  This seems especially true of the multiple thousand dollar baseballs every fifth person seems to have on the show.  I really wonder who pays that kind of money for a signed baseball?  Not often but sometimes I think some people are low-balled in their item worth.  I know on eBay many items have dropped in their value (or what they sold for) from just a year or two ago.   Interesting show I watch every chance I get.  My .02 pesos.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:23:23 am »
Getting tickets for the show , lines like for 'American Idol' tryouts , the looks on the faces when Auntie Em finds out she's not in Kansas anymore 'cuz the precious heirloom turns out to tourist crap from a sweatshop in Singapore , the crowded parking lots full of SUV's with trailers , the sweating & lugging huge cabinets in , antique dealers scouting for buyers/sellers , 'ringers' bringing in valuable stuff they know more about than the experts (& playing dumb about it) ..... these are the behind the scenes stuff I'd like to see on-camera .

Not that the show doesn't have entertainment/educational content just the way it is ....

Reminds me of once asking about the provenance of an item I was looking to buy - the seller said "That's in France , isn't it ?" .

As to the drinking game , sounds like a variant of 'hammer price' ...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:27:00 pm by regularjoe2 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:26:03 am »
LOL @ RegJoe!!

Yeah they are scalping the free tix online for about $175 to the San Jose taping!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 09:44:37 am »
     Guess I need to watch more TV.  It hasn't been turned on in a couple of months, did like the show the few times I seen it.   But I just got finished with my Antique Roadshow book I got, loved it.   Now I have to go and see how many words of veneer, exquisite, and etc ..... I find I bet I get really drunk  :P.   Lol I think I really want to go parking lot at the show just to watch, sounds like fun, better then Inside in many ways I bet.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:32:09 am »
The parking lots does sound like more fun than the inside/waiting!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:47:56 am »
Sounds like a fun game but where I live it comes on at 9AM. I wouldn't be worth a damn all day. The show that comes on before it, I think it's called Cash in The Attic, is pretty good too.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:53:11 am »
My favorite show is "If Walls Could Talk"....the homes, their values, all the things that the new owners find hidden in the homes of value and many times $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ value!  Very intriguing and entertaining!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!