Author Topic: 6 legged table - or what ?  (Read 10092 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
6 legged table - or what ?
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:21:52 pm »
My brother-in-law's sister was going to through this "table" away today - so I took it.  It has been on their farm for centuries.  I am not sure what it is exactly - it is less than 2' high, so can't be an end table.  Underneath there are two slots that would make me think it sat on top of something.  The top is in rough shape so I am planning on practising my restoration techniques on it.  I am also wondering why it would have 6 legs.  It is also quite heavy. Any ideas on what this is?

matty77

• View Profile
Re: 6 legged table - or what ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:06:47 pm »
Centuries?  Wow!

It does look somewhat William and Mary-ish...  Can you please take closer pictures of the underside - specifically the screw holes?  Have you seen ANY marks that might identify a maker?

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »
Sorry - meant to say decades, not centuries.  I believe it was his great grandmother's.  Can't get good close ups of the screw holes, except this one.  There are four like this - the other screws are buried deep in the furniture.

I just measured it - it is 16" high only.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:26:28 pm by Ellenshar »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:26:50 pm »
Here are some things to photograph and describe for us that will help date your table- What kind of hardware is that down inside those recessed holes? If it is a slotted screw head that you see in there does the slot look perfectly centered (made by mechanical means) or is it a little off, (cut by hand)?  I think I may see some diagnon saw cuts on the underside, can you see any saw marks, are they straight, diagonal or circular? Any nails or other hardware?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:33:19 pm »
I'm also interested in the way that the background "stippeling" was done (Not sure if this is the correct term, I'm talking about the little dimples in the background of the swirling design. Can you tell how those were made? Looking at the way it was stained, I'm guessing 1900-1930, but I'm not the best when it comes to furniture, so I'll watch and see what others say.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:42:52 pm »
The screw holes and the slots appear to be machine-made.  Here is a picture of the nails used on the two pieces of the cheaper wood from the underside of the table.  Have no idea what type of wood - any help would be appreciated.  All I know is it is pretty heavy for such a small table - still don't understand the 6 legs on it!

I just looked at the 2 slots again - if the table got inserted into something, the brace would be in the way - so that wouldn't work.  The picture may look like the brace is out of the way, but it actually runs through the middle of the table.

As for the "stippling" on the front of it where the design is - thanks for pointing that out - I hadn't noticed.  When I look closely it almost looks like little waffles or checkers.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:52:33 pm by Ellenshar »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 08:13:43 pm »
I would wonder if this wasn't the base for a large wooden cabinet radio?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:50 pm »
Can you please list he entire dimensions of the piece?

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:53 pm »
KC, it is 24" long, 14" wide and 14" high.  I have been searching the internet all night and can't find anything remotely similar.  Beginning to think it might be from the 80's and is a tv stand.  Still can't get past the part that it has 6 legs.

The other thing I noticed was the top seems to be a veneer.  I know from lookng at my grandmother's old dining room set that there is no veneer (her's would be about 80-90 years old).  Just wondering when they started putting veneer on furniture - if that is a relatively new thing.

I will keep searching. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:28:10 pm by Ellenshar »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:58 pm »
I'll toss my hat into the ring with an opinion that your little item is indeed a "replicantique-ish" item .
Unless my eyes are wrong , the image of the screwhead is of a type known/aka 'squaredrive' & 'trailerhead' , which are pretty modern screws .
Something about the whole assembly of the item screams "airtools" to me .

General design of your side table reminds me of many 6-legged lamp/parlor tables seen in homes along the Mississippi , when steamers worked the big muddy .
Sadly enough , I'd say yours is not from that century !

It would however , be a pain to repair the veneer (unless you've got a stock of it & a press) , but @ least it would be a practice piece , until a 'real one' (antique) comes along !
You could also 'shabby chic' (distress/paint/ect) it up with some faux painting , after removing the veneer top .... have seen some faux painters that are amazingly artistic  ...

Might have been used as side-tables for a low , "cruise & swing" , riverboat-themed type sofa/waterbed ?( :D :D :D)

The story of using veneer woods goes back centuries & centuries + some , to the way-old-timey-time , Ellenshar , sometimes known as 'inlay' , 'overlaid' , 'marquetry' (etc) woodworking/artistry .

Folks looking for 'solid wood' furniture  (vs laminates/chipboard) would have been the original 'target' customers for these 'furniture-store' items , IMO .

Sometimes these heavy-looking items are @ least sturdy , other times , not too much .
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:52:59 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 03:52:11 am »
The top is in rough shape so I am planning on practising my restoration techniques on it.

My opinion, there is a lot better "junk" out there for you to be practising on because that piece will just get you frustrated. Course, you could practice taking the rest of the veneer off the top via use of a hot iron, damp cloth and putty knife.

Reminds me of the time this young dude bought this small house and was telling his new neighbor that he decided to do some remodeling on it, like new windows, etc.

She told him, "Don't be silly, you can't do that, ..... don't you know that you bought one of those small double-wide modulars".

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »
William and Mary and Jacobean "Revival" style both used this style legs and stretchers !! Your stool appears to date late 1920 or 1930 !! However,, I have no idea what its use may have been other than just as a stool !! Did read a bit and some sites do say that during the reign of Charles I chairs were not common and stools were used as seating !! So perhaps whoever made this stool just took  a bit of creative license in making it that short !! If I had it I would certainly attempt to restore it !! Use a heat gun or like Cogar said hot iron to remove the remaining veneer on top !!  Will make a nice stool for a plant ect !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:28 am »
I agree with it being some sort of antique radio table or stand. Scroll through similar designs here:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2KJkIeneitPX2oAr76JzbkF?p=antique+radio+table&fr=yfp-t-701&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search
Or, just search for antique radio table.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:17:03 am »
Some that are similar to yours actually had built-in radios in the table, like this one. Maybe your slots have something to do with that?
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/v/Atwater-Kent/kielclosed2edited.jpg.html

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 05:29:58 am »
Those 2 slots in the underneath side of the top were made via use of an electric “circular” saw, ….. aka: a radial arm saw, …….  and the slots reveal the fact the top is made of plywood. It’s possible those “slots” were for “positioning” the top during the manufacturing process.

Add that to the fact that the underneath edges of the stretcher base are void of any stain and that it was assembled via use of an air or electric power tool and Bugle Head type “square drive” screws …… and you got what you got, ……. and my guess is, circa 1970’s or 1980’s.