Author Topic: Hekman Spinet Desk/Table  (Read 6070 times)

ricer

• View Profile
Hekman Spinet Desk/Table
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:05:43 pm »
Hey all! I just recently purchased a Hekman spinet desk/table for my wife as a birthday gift and was curious as to the history of the piece. I am also interested in the value but not as near as much as the history and the year it was made. I am not sure what exactly you guys/gals would need to know but I would be glad to give you as much info as I could. Thank you very much and any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Hekman Spinet Desk/Table
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:53:20 am »
Here's some general information from the Hekman site. Cookies and furniture represent some varied talent. ;)

Hekman History
It began in 1893 when Edsko Hekman ventured from the Netherlands to Grand Rapids, Michigan hoping to find his life’s work as a furniture maker.

The Panic of 1893 would lead him in a new direction, returning him to his first profession as a baker. Selling cookies door-to-door, Edsko eventually went on to found the Hekman Biscuit Company, which was later to become the Keebler Company.

Edsko’s enchantment with furniture, crafted in the old-world traditions, would later blossom in his three sons John, Jelle and Henry. They would fulfill their father’s dream and open the doors of the Hekman Furniture Company in 1922.

In 1970 the company became a division of Beatrice Foods until 1983 when Hekman was purchased by the Howard Miller Clock Company of Zeeland, Michigan. In 1993, Hekman acquired Woodmark Furniture, an upholstery company founded by Elliot Wood whose discriminating standards were a perfect match to Hekman’s long tradition of excellence. The company now enjoyed a position of strength in its ability to offer its customer superior casegoods and the finest in upholstery.

The careful selection of ingredients, the patient hands-on techniques and the exacting presentation... the shared passions of the baker Edsko and his furniture-making sons, remain the hallmarks of the Hekman Furniture Company today.

Now, almost a century old, Hekman is widely recognized as one of America’s premier furniture suppliers.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »
Can you post pics so we can see the style ?? Also a pic of the label !! Per Rauville`s info it would have to be after 1922

ricer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:00:05 pm »
Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures but all I had was my cell phone.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:16:09 pm »
Wow !!  This group is great !!  Our Sapphire and other members have already done the research !!  Found this on google !!
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7052.0   Bet you can find all info you need here !!

ricer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:58:09 pm »
Thank you Rauville for the history on the Hekman company.

ricer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:15:01 pm »
Hello, me again. I forgot to mention that there is also the number 847 on the bottom of the table/desk.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 09:29:09 am »
That would likely be style number !! Most all furniture mfrs use this !! Would need to look in Hekmans catalogue by year to find what it is called !!

ricer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »
Anyone have any idea what year this may have been made?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:09 am »
From what I can see I  would guess late 40`s but these styles did not change much over the years and could have been made anywhere between 1940 to 1960 !!

ricer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 03:12:58 pm »
I just got this e-mail from Hekman and it wasn't much help. You guys had already told me pretty much what they told me too, but at least they did return my e-mail.

Desk was called a Spinet Desk, Hekman manufactured several styles in the late 1920's early 1930's.  Based on the Hekman name stamp (photo) you provided can confirm desk was manufactured during that time.  Desks were of Mahogany and Gum or Walnut and Gum.  Due to limited incomplete catalog history this is the only information we can provide.   Would have retailed for around $50.00 at that time you would need to check with an Antique Appraiser for current value

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 06:41:51 pm »
Well at least you know about when it was made !!  I would have guessed later but hard to tell from pics !!  As far as a value on your desk,, it isn`t much I am afraid !!  About $175. tops in most areas !!  These are hard to sell because they have no place in most homes !! The style is not in most collectors portfolio !! They are pretty common !! Sorry `bout that but many pieces from 1900`s are in similar circumstances !!

ricer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 07:17:56 pm »
The wife loves it, thats the most important thing, and I am waaaayyyy more interested in the history of the piece than what it is worth. It will be in our family for quite some time and I am going to continue to try and find out every bit of info about it that I can.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:52 pm »
That your wife loves it is what counts !!  Good luck on your search !!