Author Topic: Cleaning/pricing unmarked wood items  (Read 2044 times)

rustyattic

• View Profile
Cleaning/pricing unmarked wood items
« on: December 18, 2012, 03:45:18 pm »
I google cleaning antique wood, but would like to know what the experts do. 
I've been doing ebay for a while, but haven't ventured into items like these before.  For example the price range on the blanket chest is wide.  Is it better to auction it or set a high bin and go down every couple weeks?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning/pricing unmarked wood items
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:07:39 pm »
Is the box a camphor chest..if it is what are the dimensions...as to value,well from what i,ve seen recently on ebay...don,t hold your breath...unless yours has good age to it...because they are not selling well....as for going in high..then reducing gradually..if it does,nt sell...you could try that...but..its a buyers market..and with ebay your in the hand of the phillistine,s...Your fish on the other hand...look really nice ,and they should sell well.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:36:31 pm »
I think it's camphor. I don't have a tape measure, but it's a little under 3 feet long.  Here's 2 more pics.  I have no idea how to date these.  Toys, vintage, china, those are all pretty easy to figure out, but I'm clueless with antiques. 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »
This is a carving of the Hindu Goddess... Kali ('the black one') is the Hindu mother goddess, symbol of dissolution and destruction....what s the measurements and whats your location...that would help...me ascertain value

as to your chest..if the inside smells of moth balls..then it is a camphor chest
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:58:28 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »
On a chest like this,, if you are going to sell it,, I would do no more than a damp cloth to get the dust off !! You can use a soft toothbrush in the carving lines if needed but thats all I would do !!

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »
This is a carving of the Hindu Goddess... Kali ('the black one') is the Hindu mother goddess, symbol of dissolution and destruction....what s the measurements and whats your location...that would help...me ascertain value
I'm home now, so I don't have them in front of me.  But they're about 12 inches x 15 inches.  I'm in Chicago.

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:04 pm »
On a chest like this,, if you are going to sell it,, I would do no more than a damp cloth to get the dust off !! You can use a soft toothbrush in the carving lines if needed but thats all I would do !!
This sounds a lot safer then what I was seeing on google.  Turpentine, solvents, oils, those just sound too risky. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:07:33 pm »
Do not do that !!  Some of that stuff can melt the finish !!  Just dust it off like I said and buff with a soft cloth !!  If you are selling it as an antique,, it should look like one !! Don`t try to change it with all that stuff !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 03:33:34 am »
You can also use ...... Murphy's Oil Soap .... to get dirt n' grime off wood items.