Author Topic: Appraisal for a Josephine Baker - Nude statue  (Read 100 times)

rhaddock

• View Profile
Appraisal for a Josephine Baker - Nude statue
« on: March 31, 2024, 02:12:51 pm »
I am currently in pursuit of detailed information and a professional appraisal for a unique piece of entertainment memorabilia that holds sentimental value in my family. This item is a statue titled "Josephine Baker Nude," which was acquired by my grandmother during her time in Germany.

The statue epitomizes the iconic Josephine Baker, a renowned entertainer, French Resistance agent, and civil rights activist, celebrated not only for her mesmerizing performances but also for her significant contributions offstage. Given its connection to such a pivotal figure in both entertainment and history, I am eager to uncover more about its origins, historical context, and potential value.

The piece, to my knowledge, captures the essence of Baker's spirit and allure, making it a captivating artifact of cultural and historical significance. I am particularly interested in the statue's provenance, the artist's intention, and how it reflects the era's artistic and social nuances. Additionally, understanding its appraisal value is crucial, as it could greatly influence decisions regarding its future—whether it remains a cherished family heirloom or is considered for exhibition to share its story and significance with a broader audience.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Appraisal for a Josephine Baker - Nude statue
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 09:29:04 pm »
Hi!  You have a Wallendorf Porcelain figurine made in Germany.  The porcelain makers' mark on the piece was used between 1964 and 1990  The market is rather soft right now for items like this - if you wait a bit hopefully values will go up. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:53:18 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!