Author Topic: Grandfather or Grandmother clock  (Read 17226 times)

colonel64

• View Profile
Grandfather or Grandmother clock
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:56 am »
I am thinking about buying a grandfather clock that the seller is asking $200.00 for. They have it listed as as a Howard Miller Grandfather clock with a No. 150 Westminster movement. The sparse info that I have been able to find online is that it is perhaps a Howard Miller/ Barwick Grandmother Clock possibly model #4878.  I haven't seen the clock yet, I have only spoken with them on the phone about it.

Can anyone provide any additional info or a value?

Thanks

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
Re: Grandfather or Grandmother clock
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:25:03 am »
The terms "grandfather", "grandmother", and "granddaughter" have all been applied to longcase clocks. Although there is no specifically defined difference among these terms, the general consensus seems to be that a clock smaller than 1.5 m (5 ft) is a granddaughter; over 1.5 m (5 ft) is a grandmother; and over 1.8 m (6 ft) is a grandfather
Price is depending on which one it is, date it was made & condition, so if you can supply info  it would help

Find me here http://gingertomantiques.yolasite.com/

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:34:29 am »
These are brand new, contact details
Howard Miller
860 East Main Avenue
Zeeland, Michigan 49464-1300
Phone: 616-772-7277

http://www.howardmiller.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContactView?langId=-1&storeId=12652&catalogId=13551

Id ring & ask them

My website  http://gingertomantiques.yolasite.com/

colonel64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:15:42 am »
Thank you for the additional info.  ;D

Where will I find the date of manufacture on the clock?  I am going to look at it tomorrow. According to the seller the clock is in excellent condition..but that can be debatable considering the sellers idea of what excellent is. 

When I asked about what model it was all she could tell me was a No. 150 which, as much as I have learned, is the movement model number.

How big a difference does the date of manufacture make in the value?  If it is in excellent condition would $200.00 be a fair price?

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:16:04 pm »
While the early years focused on the manufacture of chiming wall and mantel clocks, Howard Miller also produced trend-setting avant garde clocks that stand today in collectors' galleries. During World War II, Howard Miller joined forces with the Ford Motor Co. to produce anti-aircraft covers. In the 1960s, the company turned its attention to grandfather clocks, eventually earning the company the title of "World's Largest Grandfather Clock Manufacturer."
Its not of great age or collectability, new today between $2000 - $3000 so second hand $200 is not unreasonable but i would ? that this is its real value, $100 - $120 is more realistic from a dealer, he has to make a profit.
 The market for longcase clocks is rock bottom 19th C ones start at in UK start at $300 & can only now go up.
The date of manufacture will be its registration date which should be on a paper label somewhere inside the clock
Its of decorative value, not antique value, grandmother clocks are worth less than grandfather as a rule of thumb for similar clocks. Personally i would add the extra & buy at auction the best 8 day movement clock i could afford, but you must make the decision, buy with your head, not your heart in this case

colonel64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:22:55 am »
I thank you for all of your helpful advice and information.

The clock is being sold by a private party and not a dealer. I must admit that I am surprised that a clock like this is potentially worth less than $200.00. I realize that it is not a great antique but cheap China made quartz grandfather clocks that you find at large discount stores sell for close to $200.00.

Wouldn't this clock most likely have a German movement?

According to the seller the size of this clock is 78" tall and 15" wide.

colonel64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 01:52:52 pm »
I went to check out this clock today and it is in like new condition. I couldn't find a model # on it. The only number that I found was on a plate on the inside of the dial door.....HOWARD MILLER # 247-362.

The lady who is selling it is in her 70's and she said she got it from her parents who apparently bought it new.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 06:53:23 am »
colon64, this clock on your first post is EXACTLY like my grandfather clock.  Only difference......my grandfather made mine.  They sold these already assembled for $800+ and they sold kits to make your own in the 70's and my grandfather was a carpenter....so he wanted to make all of us grandkids one.  Cost $150 for the kit.   Value today $300 - $450.  Mine however is priceless and bears a nameplate stating it was made by him for me.  (And for those of you who have been on here long enough know that it doesn't run because my better half cannot sleep hearing the pendulum and has broken the mechanism several times stopping it over the years~)

Make sure the clock keeps time well.  Repairs usually cost around $45 - $90 (usually a spring and cleaning).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

colonel64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:38:49 am »
Thanks KC for your helpful information.   ;D

You say these are 1970's era clocks?  Do you know if there is a particular model number for those clocks?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 11:02:37 am »
Great info there , KC.

In many cases the honest incedental infomation (& age) of a seller can lead a buyer to assume much about the age/value of an item that we/they know little about .

Just like in the ole' horse-tradin' days !

Oops ! Forgot to add a thanks to gingertom for that great info too !
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:17:11 pm by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:29:36 pm »
I know that my clock was made in 1974.  I also know that Howard Miller didn't even make grandfather clocks until the end of the 1960's and these are not the original meticulous ones.  Rather simple and at the lower end.  I need to pull mine out from the wall and take a look see at the serial numbers and booklet.  Will try and do that this week.  Have lots of company here and have to steal time away to get on the site!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

colonel64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 05:16:23 am »
KC I do appreciate all of your helpful info.

colonel64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 05:12:33 am »
Well, I did buy this clock and it is in excellent shape. The model # is 610-119 with a #150 Westminster movement.