Author Topic: 1950s and earlier figurines  (Read 2100 times)

lvrider

• View Profile
1950s and earlier figurines
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:43:08 pm »
I am glad I finally found an antique forum that actually has people who replies to peoples posts and that all the posts are not a year plus old. My aunt and uncle recently passed away. They have 40 years of old goodies tucked away. I could not believe all the stuff that has been coming out of the house. It was like they were real life tetris pros.  My cousins who inherited everything do not have lots of time to find out whats worth keeping and whats not. So lots of stuff is getting thrown out and or given to goodwill. It is killing me to watch every thing that is getting thrown out. I managed to save a few things from the landfill and am wondering what they are. I have tried goggling for these items but it seems as if I could spend days sifting through all the different related items to find the ones that are the same or even similar to the items I salvaged. So rather than do that I decided to give you guys the fun of showing off your knowledge of antiques. The figurines that I will first be inquiring about were from at least the 1950s. My father remembers going over to the house where they came from. He was always  dying to play with them but was never allowed to. (hope it is okay i copied and pasted this from my introduction in the new members section)

lvrider

• View Profile
Re: 1950s and earlier figurines
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:30 pm »
I searched on google for the glass/crystal elephant the most. The most similar elephant I found was swedish orrefors.

lvrider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:57:19 pm »
here are some more. The green irsh looking one does not have any markings on the bottom. Just a round hole.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:12:39 am by lvrider »

lvrider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:47 am »
my grandmother that originally owned these had a Pomeranian. The pomeranian does not have any markings on the bottom. The hubley cap guns did not come from her but I thought I'd post them as well
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:11:49 am by lvrider »

lvrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 12:08:10 am »
Cool piggy bank that flings the coins from the trunk into the storage compartment. It is still in working action.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:11:07 am by lvrider »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 09:38:22 pm »
It would help out much better if you reduced your posts to a few items per post.

As for the elephant bank....these were very popular in the 60's....there should be a marking as to the maker if it is a reputable company.  Otherwise, may be a reproduction from China.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:14 pm »
Thanks for posting your items , lvrider.

I'm by no means an 'expert'  on items such as yours , but I'd classify them all as 'collectables' .

The one possible 'pearl' , value-wise , (I'd guess) would be the cool little elephant coin-tossin' bank (if it's an authentic one) .... even if it's a reproduction as KC mentioned , it will serve as a reminder of the person that had owned it (& , you could use it too!) .

Although I mostly focus on antiques (100+ year old stuff) & art ..........  sometimes when I'm looking for the value of a 'vintage' item , I'll just search Ebay for like items .... seems to work quicker than Google,Bing, etc. , for certain items .

I just found  around 15 banks like yours , in the mechanical bank section of 'collectables' on Ebay .

That's my 2 cents worth , so far .
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:24:46 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:09:23 pm »
Baby on pillow with dog....popular also in early 30's to 50's....similar to this one
http://compare.ebay.com/like/160480844673?var=vipsrp&sort=BestMatch
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lvrider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:11:48 am »
Thanks for the tip of searching on eBay.It makes sense to try searching there

The elephant's only marking I found says TAIWAN. So at least its not Chinese right? ;] In fact you can read this in one of the pictures. Its in the picture of the elephant standing up right and the writing is in the basket on the elephants back.

I posted them all in one post because I did not want to seen as an over poster. Thought it would be kind of like spamming and or obnoxious if I made a new post for each item.

Thank you for all your replies and tips. They are greatly appreciated.

Does anyone recognize the symbol on the bottom of the elephant? The one that reads c-2570? The original owner of these had a couple hummels.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:49:05 am by lvrider »