Author Topic: Emerald Green Glass Butter Dish (?)  (Read 2389 times)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Emerald Green Glass Butter Dish (?)
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:31:14 am »
I know that those of you who are glass enthusiasts like me have browsed through countless glass patterns, so hopefully someone will recognize something about this one.  It is an emerald green colored glass tray, 8 3/8" with handles, 6 7/8" without.  It has a flower in the middle and circles in the design.  I think it's about butter dish size but not entirely sure.  I'm hesitant to do anything with this until I can hopefully discover the maker, because the auction I got it from was a collector with all decent brand items, and so I'm afraid of generalizing this one.  Unfortunately it is unmarked.  Thanks in advance!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Re: Emerald Green Glass Butter Dish (?)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:32:41 am »
One more  :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:05:29 am »
    Have not seen this pattern before, but sure looks like the famous forest Green of Anchor Hocking.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:16 am »
Its sure AH`s color !!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:47 am »
Excellent, thanks so much guys!!  I'm looking into that  ;D

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:57:34 am »
Well after an hour of looking I've found many similar Anchor Hocking patterns but none exact.  This is difficult!  So I wandered over to Anchor Hocking's Museum page looking for pattern information and I come across this:  "Over the last few years we have answered countless questions about Anchor Hocking glassware. Most of the questions we received were already answered on the website, the information was contained in most depression glass references, or the answers could easily be found on the internet. The information was obtained from us and used to sell items on eBay or at antique shops. The museum was not established as an information repository for this purpose. Since I have stated that we will no longer answer any questions related to Anchor Hocking, their subsidiaries, or the glass they produced; yet we continue to receive questions, we are instituting something new. If you ask a question directly related to the museum, tours of the museum, or the purchase of glass and reference books/CDs, then the answer is free. All questions beyond this will require the payment of $25.00 for each question asked."

Well excuuuuuuuse us for trying to do our research and keeping their name on people's tongues and in their collections by correctly identifying & selling their pieces!  Hmmph.  Well I have 2 possible Anchor Hocking pieces but I doubt either of them would be worth a $25 question in today's economy.  I've come across multiple companies more than happy to help identify pieces, for whatever purpose the asker has.  I think that's pretty rude  :(

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:03 pm »
Well, I can see their point.  If the answer is readily available through standard sources, then they don't want to be bothered.  The price is prohibitive enough that it will force most people who just want to be lazy (people who don't want to bother looking through references, or coming to a source like this forum) to try conventional sources.  If the standard source doesn't answer, AND the question is important enough, then you'll pay the $25.  It's brilliant, actually.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »
Well, I've spent a LOT of time trying to find these items so it's not like I was lazy and not looking, whatsoever!  I also doubt many eBayers are going to pay the $25 unless they have something really large.  I don't think it's brilliant, just rude...they should be happy that people take an interest in their products and properly identifying them regardless of the purpose.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 01:38:03 pm »
 the color is forest Green, which is also the pattern name.  It is on replacements under Forest Green and called a handled Relish dish
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:54:32 pm by ironlord1963 »

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »
Oh my gosh, ironlord you are seriously my hero!!  Thank you so much!  I was looking on replacements at hundreds and hundreds and I even landed on that Forest Green page but I somehow missed that particular item...I must have been looking for a butter dish.  THANKS  :o