Author Topic: Mandalian mesh purse  (Read 1649 times)

Pris71

• View Profile
Mandalian mesh purse
« on: September 18, 2009, 06:24:28 pm »
I have a Mandalian mesh purse that I don't know anything as to pattern, value, etc.
Any help identifying what I've got will be GREATLY appreciated.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Mandalian mesh purse
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:23:26 am »
Mandalian manufacturing co. was located in North Attleboro Massachusetts. ( I live close to this area)  was founded in 1915, but its origins go back to the early 1900s. That's when Sahatiel G. Mandalian (1869-1949), a Turkish immigrant, formed a partnership  to make jewelry and novelties. 1906,  he and Eugene A. Hawkins began manufacturing mesh purses to compete with Whiting & Davis. When his partnership with Hawkins ended in 1915, Mandalian incorporated under his own name.  The mesh had furnace-fired enameled links that glowed, and the company advertised the product as "pearlized mesh." Mandalian purses are eagerly sought by collectors and I have seen them sell for $200 to $595, depending on style, frame and condition. The company  was sold to Whiting & Davis in 1944. Whiting & Davis is still in business in Attleboro Falls, Mass.
As far as pattern I will have to break out the collectors books and try to hunt it down. I also have several bags  made by them beautiful craftsmanship.  Good find!!!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 08:44:53 am »
Pris71 Have just gone through all my books on mesh purses and can find no reference to pattern names for purses from Mandalian.  Colors of your purse are beautiful !!, lining missing ( most are),some chain fringe missing ( again with most) , frame design is beautiful  and all attached but enamel frames bring higher prices. To a collector because of color  combonation &  really good condition I would  say closer to $750.00  but that is finding the right collector ( probably high end auction house  more so than eBay) in this economy.  Again good find  If  you are planning on selling I would say hang on until economy returns as price will only go up as the company sold to Whiting & Davis - many more Whiting mesh purses out there than Mandalian!!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:11:34 am »
Agree with all of Wendy's information (nice job Wendy).  In this market I would say it would be closer to $350 - $500 on value.....but at a good auction with this sort of collectible you could see more with avid collectors.

The purse appears to be in good shape except that the fringe links look a little ragged/uneven....that is but a minor thing here.  So, as long as it is in great shape, hands on, that is a ballpark.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 09:55:58 am »
Thanks again KC  these purses are near & dear to me  & have done hours of research on them  as I have several from my mother. Will have to try and find them and post photos if anyone is interrested.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:33:07 pm »
Post any you have....always fun to see/learn!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!