Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pelady, I am so sorry to see the prices drop on these items too!  :(
I agree with the time period.

Are the balls wood or plastic?
Antique Questions Forum / Re: Japanese Tea/Sake Set? Circa WWII
« Last post by KC on Today at 12:26:56 AM »
Agree with Mart on average pricing in our area.
Antique Questions Forum / Re: Italian Marble-top Stand
« Last post by KC on Today at 12:11:57 AM »
LOL
Antique Questions Forum / Re: Antique Knife 3 Stars On Blade With Metal Shealth
« Last post by mart on December 17, 2017, 07:06:47 PM »
Iíve sold a few jambiyas and khanjars. This looks intended for the gift / tourist market

Thats what I was thinking just by looking at the design !!
Antique Questions Forum / Re: "Multiplying Billiard Balls" magic set/magic trick
« Last post by mart on December 17, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »
I would say by looking at the box its probably 1950`s or 60`s !!  My guess is it was one of those things you could order from the back pages of comic books !!  Like the sea monkeys !!
« Last post by mart on December 17, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »
Ebay is always best to sell but it isn`t going to bring enough to be worthwhile !!  Maybe $20 to $30 depending on how many cups are with it !!
Antique Questions Forum / "Multiplying Billiard Balls" magic set/magic trick
« Last post by FamilyHeirlooms on December 17, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »
I was curious if anyone could tell me more about this magic "Multiplying Billiard Balls" set. I'm not even sure if it is an antique.

My grandfather gave this to me when I was a child (around 1978 to 1980). He was a bit of a pack-rat and it was not new when he gave it to me. In fact, it looked exactly like it does in the attached pictures (frayed edges on the box, rubbed off paint on the balls).

The box does not have any distinguishing features. There is no date, no manufacturer, no information on when or where it was created.  I asked my mother, aunt and uncle about this magic trick and none of them remembered it as a child, so it may not be that old (or they may have forgotten it). Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Joe
« Last post by FamilyHeirlooms on December 17, 2017, 05:10:33 PM »
Its a Sake set !!  100 Yen sounds like a lot but it was probably about $1.50 USD !!  I don`t remember the exact exchange just going by what hubby told me !!  Most of these were souvenirs  !!  After the occupation many cottage industries sprang up and pottery was a mainstay !!  Thats how they fed their families !!  Soldiers brought back many similar items !!
It is Kutani and was new when your wife's grandfather bought it.

Thank you both for the help in identifying this piece for me. I really appreciate it.

I do have a follow up question for both of you. Is there a market for this piece? Would it be worth my time to sell this piece on eBay?

As you know all of the antiques my wife and I have belonged to family members. However, I have learned a little bit more about this piece since I posted that makes it a little less remarkable (as far as our family is concerned). When we got this piece it was found in a box in my wife's grandmother's attic. I have since learned from one of my wife's aunts that it was in that box in the attic since it came back from Japan in the 1940's.

Apparently grandma didn't like it and had no use for it and so it just sat up there collecting dust. I am usually reluctant to get rid of antiques family members have owned, but honestly our house is pretty full and since this one has no real history with our family (aside from collecting dust in an attic) we're considering parting with it. Unfortunately no one else in the family wants it either.

If we sell it do you think eBay is the best route? Or should we just try and sell it to an antique shop in town?

Thanks!

Joe
Antique Questions Forum / Re: Buffet/sideboard age
« Last post by Ipcress on December 17, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »
Other than that listing, is there proof itís Ercol ?

They did some Dutch style furniture but that is weird by their standards
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10