Author Topic: W&S Blackinton Coffee/Tea Set, oil lamp question...  (Read 4620 times)

djrsxs

• View Profile
W&S Blackinton Coffee/Tea Set, oil lamp question...
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:45 pm »
Ok just wondering if anybody knew anything more about these 2 items.

I found this W&S Blackinton Tea/Coffee set at my local goodwill store as the wife was sitting there looking for clothes and I spotted this and it looked old and very good. I figured I would buy it and see if it was worth anything, if not it can go in our antique room at the house. It's in very good condition and has no scratches on anything. I was going to polish it with some silver stuff that the wife has for her jewelry as there is a little bit of tarnish on it, but I didn't do it yet as it could hurt the value if it is worth something.

This oil lamp was in my grandma's basement and she wanted me to look it up for her...I don't know anything about it,she said she's had it for a very long time and also she was saying that there was a shade on it, which I don't think there was, as there is no place to put it,  and something about "gone with the wind lamp"???

djrsxs

• View Profile
Re: W&S Blackinton Coffee/Tea Set, oil lamp question...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 01:21:13 pm »
Actually now that I'm looking them up, I see there were some with globes on them and some with shades that actually did go on them...either way I'm interested to hear anything about them. If anybody knows about them I would love to hear about it. I've been visiting my grandma a lot lately and I think our love for antiques is bringing us closer together  ;D I like when she is telling me stories as we are looking at her old things.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »
Yes, the lamp actually is the base of a GWTW lamp that would have had a ball shade decorated to match the lower portion.
It's next to impossible to ever find an old shade, so the only alternative is have a new one hand painted. 

I used to buy those odd lamp bases, and convert them to electric table lamps, adding a nice silk shade. If you are carefull and save the flame spreader, you can do it without any drilling or destroying any original parts.I know I was lowering the value of an antique, but at least I had something that was useable and could be enjoyed.

GreatestCollectibles.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 01:41:01 pm »
There are many branads and makers of tea sets and lamps.

These don't seem like anything rare or unusual to me but I'm sure they do have sentimetal value to you being your grandmothers.

I think the lamp is worth $30 or so and the tea set does'nt seem unusual either and I have seem them sell for about $40 for the set if they are'nt any famous or rare brand. If they are silver they shoudl obviuoly bring a little over it's spot price.

good luck!

gisela

greatestcollectibles.com
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:43:16 pm by GreatestCollectibles.com »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »
Can you post a pic of the silver mark on the coffee set ??  And check ebay for a shade for the lamp !!  Who is the maker of the lamp ??  Some can get a bit pricey depending on the maker !!

djrsxs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 02:24:41 pm »
Well, I did look on the bottom of the teacups and it says "W&S Blackinton" and that is all. I do not know who the maker of the lamp is, I have to pick my wife up from work at 8pm, so I can check it then (she works at the bar my grandma owns) and I will post up pictures when I can(probably after 8pm)  and I will def. ask her if she knows where the globe or light shade for it is. This was the only thing she showed me, however I'm really hoping she has the shade/globe for it as well because I see them complete on ebay for 200-1500$. I'm sure she would love to hear that the lamp she has been hoarding for the last 50 years is actually worth something. 

However since you asked I will post up a picture of the silver mark as soon as my camera battery charges, my iphone doesn't take high quality pictures as you've noticed  :D

djrsxs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 02:41:31 pm »
here is a picture of the bottom/manufacturer name...

djrsxs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:07:12 pm »
30 views, 3 replies? cmon guys....

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 07:48:29 pm »
    I find your lamp to be really awesome, my better half collects lamps, right now she is out of town, but if I remember I will show her for her opinion.  One point is I know the one with the round wicks are a bit more sought after, and if it had a shade you would be looking at around $100.00 plus, but since the base is handpainted finding a matching shade well will be really hard, as mentioned earlier.   As for the Tea set, well not really a big prize winner, first silverplate is out of favor for the most part, and this appears to be what is considered from the post 40's era, this is when these was mostly made just for holidays and decoration.  The pattern is one of the most common of the tea set and is called Lily of the valley, about every maker made this pattern, one thing going for it is it is not International or Onieda. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 12:03:35 pm »
I looked at several other pieces of this brand and in my opinion,, selling price would be between $50. and $75. for the three pieces !!  Not great but not bad either !!  Just get a good silver polish and use it !!  Thats what they were for !! Patina is not present on silver,, just tarnish !! They would have been used and polished over and over through the years !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 03:10:58 pm »
W & S Blackinton (Meriden, Connecticut) was started by 2 brothers (1865)  producing gold jewelry and was later purchased by the Elmore Silver Company (1938) that still retained their mark on pieced and started producing silver-plated holloware pieces until they ceased in 1966.  During WWII production dwindled/ceased (as did many companies during the war years) and later resumed.  The company was bought out by Raimond Silver Jfg. Co in 1966 and moved to Chelsea, Massachusetts.

Your item should also have a mark  indicating that it is electroplated with silver.

Their items, although lovely, are not rare or extremely valuable.  However, they are still loved, admired by many.  I think the set is very nice and most likely was made towards the later 1900's of operation from style.  (You really need to post a picture of the makers mark on the bottom of each piece.  Just because they are represented as a set doesn't mean that they are all by the same maker and if they are the same make they could be from different times.  People do drop/bend/ruin pieces and replace them over the years.)

One of their marks

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!