Author Topic: Value of Red Gone with the Wind Lamp???  (Read 1992 times)

jumpontopski

• View Profile
Value of Red Gone with the Wind Lamp???
« on: February 14, 2012, 11:20:56 am »
Does anyone know what the value of this Gone with the wind lamp may be??? I was told that when it was converted to electric the oil resevoir was kept in it so it could be converted back easily.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Value of Red Gone with the Wind Lamp???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:50:53 pm »
Is there a name anywhere on it ??

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:39:37 pm »
That is a beautiful lamp. Is the glass actually a ruby glass or is it coated with a colored film? I would love to see more photos like the bottom of the base and the neck of the globe. Look and see it there is any hard to see marking on the glass especially around the neck of the globe. Also on the knob that adjusted the flame. Like Mart asked "Are their any markings?"

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:28:56 am »
The knob says "Success" so after some research I believe it is a pilabrasgo success lamp. I will take some more pictures but it is ruby red glass an iris painted on top and bottom in gold. Ant ideas????

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00:43 am »
Congratulations on answering your own question. Success lamps were produced in the early 1900s by Pittsburgh Lamp Co. Yours is a perfect and original example of one except for the conversion which was very common in these. Many were produced in the 1905 -19125 era rifght before electricity was introduced into many areas. In the 20s and 30s they would be converted and also later on in the 60s and 70s when the style became collectible and desirable again. In my area your lamp would retail for around 350.00 or possibly higher because of the ruby glass. I would not rule out the lamp breaking the 500.00 mark at auction on a good day. They have not gone up much in the last 20 years. I have a GWTW lamp that was on my bar and I really like it. It too has been converted. Does both the top and bottom glass light up?