Author Topic: forman family electric perculator  (Read 5106 times)

jcsyes37

• View Profile
forman family electric perculator
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »
i have a beautiful perculator that i purchased at a estate sale that is made of brass and i believe chrome coated.bottom has forman family brooklyn NY and is in mint condition with beautiful design. i cannot locate any info about this coffee maker

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: forman family electric perculator
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 05:08:54 am »
jc, are you looking for info on the perculator itself or the Forman company?

Finally found this little bit of company history.....

http://reviews.ebay.com/THE-FORMAN-BROTHERS-COCKTAIL-SHAKER-stephen-visakay_W0QQugidZ10000000007807412

Using the term Forman Ware was more helpful in this than Forman Family.  ;)

Without pictures it's hard to get more info for you. Although these did pop up in the Forman Family search

http://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=forman+family+percolator

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FORMAN-FAMILY-CHROME-PERCOLATOR-CREAMER-SUGAR-/230477242968#ht_500wt_928

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SILVERPLATE-COFFEE-POT-PERCOLATOR-SET-FORMAN-/370418488830#ht_500wt_1154

jcsyes37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:09:43 am »
i am looking for parts for the percolator, as it is not heating. there are not many parts, so i dont know if other manufactures can be used. not interested in getting a value, just locating parts. thanks  jcsyes37  (jim)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 05:44:26 am »
JC, my 1st guess would be that the switch was bad. You need to get a Voltmeter or a "flashlight bulb and battery" and check the switch out to see if it "turning on".

If not then you need to "fix a broken wire" or replace the switch.

And switches are not made by the same company that made the product so if it is an old item don't go looking for the manufacturer for obtaining a replacement switch.

If its a bad switch, 2 things you can do.

1. most all switches have a mfg name & # on them and you could "search the internet" for a replacement switch.

2. take your perculator to an electrical/electronic "fixit shop" and have them put a new switch in it.

A switch is a switch is a switch ..... iffen the voltage rating is the same and you can find a similar one that will go back in the "hole" the bad one came out of.

Manufacturers build things "to fit vendor switches", not the other way around. Thus, the same switch can often be found in several different products.

cheers

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 10:32:06 am »
Welcome to the forum , jcsyes .

Since you've not posted any images of your item , there's not too much for us to go on , by your description .

It was/is typical for electric coffe pots to be forgotten (left 'on') & subsequently have the heating elements 'burn out' .
 I keep small digital multi-meters in my vehicles , for testing 'antique' electrcal items , prior to buying them (great to know if 'whatever it is' works) .

Often times , electrical parts can be replaced by more current ones , as cogar mentioned ; sometimes they cannot , due to nomenclature of housings , mat'ls & such .

It is very important to use electrical components that are matched with the ratings (voltage,watts,amps) of the ones they are replacing .

Sometimes , in dealing with damaged electrical items (of antique or vintage age) there is little to no parts availability ... then a person has to keep an eye out for a same-same item , in order to re-use the parts from it .

As cogar mentioned , sometimes fix-it or appliance repair shop have got ideas or means to repair real old stuff (& sometimes you'll find a repairman who does such as a hobby) .
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:38:06 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "