Author Topic: Just Beat It!!!  (Read 5611 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Just Beat It!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 08:24:51 pm »
Actually I don't eat any fish at all, but that sardine mega-tin is shaped like a book and it makes a great place to store all my hand-written and printed out recipes. The real antique cookbooks are on the opposite side of the possum-belly Hoosier.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 09:09:25 am »
I finally got it done! I removed the rivet and the cranking wheel so I could weld it all the way around and once welded I heated up the welded spot to about 1700 degrees so I could get a nice mill scale finish and help it blend in. Its not quite as pretty as it was but it still has a long life left, thanks for givin me the chance to fix it! welding cast is do-able, but as small as this was I was worried about burning right through it, looks like I got lucky :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:13:20 am by JoshandLila »
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

BungalowMo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 09:58:10 am »
Wow...great job on the weld!  Now that great little beater has a happy new home & is fully functional to boot!!  ;D

So Tales...what is that cast iron device clamped to your Hoosier??  I was trying to figure it out, but I'm at a loss on this one!
I can fully appreciate the meaning behind the phrase "They just don't make 'em like they used to".

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 11:10:13 am »
AWESOME!! I am so happy that the little beater will be with you merrily whipping up goodies in your kitchen once more and for years to come! Great job there Josh, I know this was tough to do and I'm so glad that you were able to pull it off! WELL DONE!! THREE CHEERS!!!

BungaloMo, that's my apple peeler. It's an 1880 RP Scott model and it's my little pride and joy. Here's a little video I shot of it in action, peeling an apple in under three seconds. That screech you hear in the background is my cockatoo who knows that an apple peel is coming!

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/talesofthesevenseas/?action=view&current=ApplePeelerVideo-1.mp4

Here's the topic where there are some closeup photos of the peeler:

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7619.0

I can't say enough about how great these antique peelers are if you make anything from apples. Worth every penny and they are much better made than the modern ones from what I understand.

BungalowMo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 08:50:27 pm »
OMG!  Loved the video...and the Bird screeching for treats!  Gotta love that!!

That thing looks amazing.  I'm a total "old device" lover.  Especially kitchen gadgets  ;D
I can fully appreciate the meaning behind the phrase "They just don't make 'em like they used to".

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »
I use that peeler all the time. It is rock solid and works just great. It is fun too! There are tons of them on Ebay that are still fully functional like this one.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 06:10:13 am »
Love the new beater collection tales, they look awesome. Imagine all the home cooked meals those puppies have whipped up.
Glad that you were able to give a brand new life to the broken one Josh, that is way cool of tales to give it a new home. :) That little weld is a part of it's history now and people in the future will wonder when it was done and who did it, just like we do with antiques now. They'll know that someone didn't just toss it in the trash.
The apple peeler is way cool, I want one now! I have a bag full of apples just waitin'.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:25 am »
I make a whole lot more apple pies and things than I would without it because it cuts the prep time to less than half. I can come home from work and knock out an apple pie any time and the apples get into the pie without turning brown. Check out Ebay, there are lots to choose from. Just make sure that the seller puts an apple on it an peels it. Sometimes they say "it works" and don't actually try it on an apple. It shouldnt be that hard to do a quick test drive.