Author Topic: Strange cup and saucer (H & K Tunstall)  (Read 1413 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
Strange cup and saucer (H & K Tunstall)
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:07:36 pm »
I have this strange-handled tea cup (and saucer).  My internet searches don't come up with anything matching this type of handle.  Is there a reason the handle was made like this?

By the way- this site has given me more responses than all the other forums I have tried to gather info from - I haven't received one response in the last two months to any of my inquiries - so far this is the only site that actually tries to help!

Great site!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange cup and saucer (H & K Tunstall)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 08:30:14 pm »
This is made by Hollinshead and Kirkham, originally of Burslem in Staffordshire.  They moved their works to Tunstall in 1890. They produced china/pottery mainly for the middle of the market. After the WWar they started making art deco style dinnerwares to boost slumping sales which have become very collectible.

This handle does make this more unique...thus more desirable to collectors of H&K
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Strange cup and saucer (H & K Tunstall)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:57:01 am »
This design. was used from 1933 to 1942 it is Art Deco in design. would sell in the $15.00 to $ 20.00 Dollar range.