Author Topic: how to price and sell? Wood & Bower staffordshire, ~1848,  (Read 2143 times)

mwilaby

• View Profile
how to price and sell? Wood & Bower staffordshire, ~1848,
« on: December 03, 2008, 07:37:11 pm »
Hi all -

Thanks to a contributor earlier this week these have been identified these as "Wood and Bower" staffordshire.

Would love to know how to sell these and potential selling price to achieve fast sale without giving them away....

-------------------------

I inherited two plates, one raised on a smallish pedestal, in excellent condition.  See attached pictures.

I would like to know more about them so that I can more accurately research a price at which to sell them.

I think it's Staffordshire, and that the diamond-stamp on the back indicates manufacture sometime after 1848.

The mark that accompanies the stamp is a very distinctive wreath, trimmed with a ribbon-like bow, within which are the letters "W & B" and the word "MALTA".  The design on the front and sides is blue flowers, leaves, and garland; a circled star in the middle, with worn gold gilt around the edge.

thanks in advance for you help.
Marge
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:55:50 am by mwilaby »

leonceant

• View Profile
    • Leonce Antiques and Consignment
I would suggest looking at this useful site to help you identify the maker mark:
http://www.oldandsold.com/pottery/usa1.shtml

The Malta stamp looks like an import stamp, Malta being the country and possible W&B being that importer. That would be my opinion. Hope this link is helpful.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
the dish showing is commonly known as a cheese plate the trade mark is wood & Bowers england. commonly known as Blue & white china.Malta being the pattern.

mwilaby

• View Profile
Hi! this is greatly helpful!  Is it still a piece that would be commonly called "Staffordshire"?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
they are certainly from the staffordshire area.

mwilaby

• View Profile
thank you! you are indeed my "hero".

my next step is to place a value on them and figure out how/where to sell them.  where and how do I get started going that direction?

thank you very much,
marge

mwilaby

• View Profile
How to price and sell? Wood & Bower staffordshire, ~1848,
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:23:12 pm »
Hi all
it's the 'newbie' again, can anyone help on how to sell these plates and what they might fetch price-wise?
thank you in advance,
marge

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: how to price and sell? Wood & Bower staffordshire, ~1848,
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:00:31 pm »
The dish has some issue's. but should sell at $125.00 Dollar's