Author Topic: help identify this OLD lantern & Tools  (Read 1085 times)

drododdsnends

• View Profile
help identify this OLD lantern & Tools
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:26:24 pm »
Across the glass it is embossed "LOC-NOB PAT D 12-4-21."  On top of lantern reads New York NY USA Dietz-Monarch. On the bottom reads Dietz NY USA Monarch.

This is an old powder horn, on the end it is engraved Made in Brazil

AND I dont have a clue what this is.... just looks really old. Looks like a Draw knife of some sort.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help!!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: help identify this OLD lantern & Tools
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:33:13 pm »
The only item I have any knowledge of is the lantern, I really like the red glass on yours! They are quite common and yours is a bit newer than the ones I usually see from 1900-1908-ish. With the red glass and being in good condition, I'd say it's worth about $40 in a retail shop, about $25 on ebay.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:18:03 pm »
Agree on the price range of the lantern.  The horn....looks like it it is from the mid 1900's with the hardware...and I also believe that is a draw tool - looks like the one lumberjacks used to remove bark from a tree!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

drododdsnends

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »
Any idea of value on the horn or draw tool? thanks again so much guys!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:58:46 pm »
The draw knife (depending on the maker) is in the $20-$25 range. I usually buy them at $5 or less at sales. The powder horn marked "made in Brazil" depends on if it is old or new. I think new and made for the reproduction black powder shooters. $25 (more or less). The Dietz lantern would be $25 tops in my area. I see the clear globe ones for $5-$15 frequently. Every farmer had or has one, especially Amish. If it is a marked lantern for RR use, the price would be much higher.