Author Topic: Early 1900s? Greeting Card Store Fixture. Help Identifying it Please.  (Read 2268 times)

jdphenicie

• View Profile
I am hoping for some help identifying the age and history of a store fixture from I believe to be from the early 1900s.

It is a black metal filing cabinet with a textured finish and glass display sides.  It came from my Grandparent's 5 & Dime which they bought in 1943.  The filing cabinet was in the store at the time of their purchase and by 1943 was in the office in the back of the store. It has one glass side still intact and a cardboard printed advertisement for Rendell distinctive Greeting Cards.  My grandmother says they only ever carried American Greetings cards, and this was old when they got the store and is probably older than she is (96.)

I pulled it out of her basement recently and I am hoping to learn a little about it but I can not find anything on the internet about it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Early 1900s? Greeting Card Store Fixture. Help Identifying it Please.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:16:15 pm »
What is the full name of the company, written right above the picket fence please? I can't make it out but suspect it would be very helpful in finding more info.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 02:45:59 am »
Probably an advertising piece stuck to a filing cabinet utilized back in the pharmacy dept of an old drugstore.  Many old post card holders I've seen were good sized heavy wire 'ferris wheels' with which the cards were put where riders would have sat and the customer would turn the wheel to view the various cards available.  I doubt any retailer would want a customer thumbing through cards in a cabinet. 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:22:31 am »
Your cabinet dates to about 1900 to 1910 Known as the edwardian period. it was designed to hold Double sized postcard's. similar to cabinet portraits. I'am not sure of value.

But there is a post card collector, waiting to discover your find.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:12:29 am »
To help restore it to original condition, does anyone have an idea about how the postal zip code sticker and pen marks in the upper left might be removed without damaging the artwork? Or is it best left as is?

jdphenicie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:53 am »
Thanks for the information so far the name above the picket fence is Harry Rendell Jr. Co Detroit - Chicago

The zip code sticker is on the glass covering the art work.  My grandfather put it there in 60s he also wrote in grease pencil the zip codes of his suppliers at the time.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:19 am »
Oh no problem then!! Good idea he had there, I didn't quite catch that that's where the glass was.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:46:16 am »
I'm finding zero on Henry Rendell though. Anyone else have better luck?