Author Topic: Reverse Painting on Glass  (Read 1494 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Reverse Painting on Glass
« on: January 13, 2018, 01:47:05 pm »
I was actually with my mom when she bought this at a garage sale in the mid-1980s. It's in an ornate gilded frame that measures 30.5 x 26.5" at the outside. Many that come to my sale seem interested in it until I tell them what I am asking for it - $100, which is what she paid for it (which would be around $250 in today's money). Did she over-pay?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Reverse Painting on Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:39:11 pm »
She didn`t overpay if she liked it !!  Next time they they say its too much,,tell them to try and do one !!  Its not that easy !!  I think that price is OK !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:47:23 am »
Reverse painting was "the rage" in the 80's!  Agree with Mart - it's not that easy but fun!

Nice pieces!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 07:11:01 pm »
Normal painting is top to bottom and back to front,, reverse painting is front first then work back !!  It can be rather confusing !!  Try putting rocks in a stream when you don`t have the stream in yet !!  And some of the layers have to dry between painting sessions !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:17:36 pm »
One man that looked at it said that the frame is worth more than the painting which was virtually worthless and offered me $20 if I removed the painting and would just sell him the frame.
NO SALE!

Here it is hanging on the wall in the middle parlor (top center). Not easy to get to, either, for an old lady. Not worth getting out the ladder and climbing up for it for the mere $20 he offered.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:14:08 am by debodun »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:17:29 pm »
Tell him to go buy one somewhere else !! No point in wasting your time !!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:47:53 am »
I see you like depression glass.  One of my favorite “addictions” Do you have a fovorite pattern or color?
PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:17:31 am »
My mother was the Depression glass collector. I just inherited although I do like cobalt blue and ruby red glass. I have a few sales during the summer and find that Depression glass is not a popular collectible around here (Saratoga County, New York). Here are more pics of what I inherited:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:24:41 am by debodun »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 07:11:49 pm »
Thats gorgeous stuff !!  Be careful and know what you have before selling any of that !!  Aren`t there any larger towns within driving distance there ??  You might do better selling on Craigslist !! A lot of people check it out regularly and it doesn`t cost anything to list !!  I will say that if you do try it,,always have someone with you when its picked up !!  There are a few  strange people in this world !! Better yet,, meet them inside a cafe` or restaurant !!  That way they will not know where you live !!  You never want anyone to know that you have anything worth stealing so don`t let them know what you have !!  I just don`t trust many people !!  Here I don`t worry,, most will not get out of the car with my dogs !!  All are 60lbs and over and will surround any strange car !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:58 am »
I've tried many avenues to see the Depression glass. Most people do not want to pay a fair market value. Dealers won't buy because it's not selling for them, either. DG is a dead market here.