Poll

Does anyone know about a photographer named J.F. Standiford?

J.F. Standiford
0 (0%)
Indian Territory Photographer
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: J.F. Standiford photo form Indian Territory  (Read 3202 times)

sipesj

• View Profile
J.F. Standiford photo form Indian Territory
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:46:16 pm »
I recently purchased a picture in a Goodwill store in Indiana. It was an old photo of a young woman. Someone had pressed flowers at the base of the picture. Also, at the bottom of the picture was"Wagoner, Indian Territory and Tahlequah, Indian Territory. In the center, at the base of the picture was "Licensed by the S.F. Standiford". On teh back of the picture is written," J.F. Standiford, The only U.S. Licensed Photographer in the Indian Territory with Resident and Gallery HeadQuarters, Muskogee, Creek Nation, Make regular yearly visits to Tahlequah, Vinita, Eufaula, Wagoner, and other important points in the territory with my portable gallery. If you are pleased with this picture, more of them can be had at any time at 25cts. each, provided cash accompanies your order. Address your orders to J.F. Standiford, Muskogee, I.T. Muskogee
I'd love to know more about this person. I'm sure he was from Oklahoma, before it became a state. Does anyone know?  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:27:56 pm by sipesj »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: J.F. Standiford photo form Indian Territory
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:16 pm »
Jacob F. Standiford trivia - He went by "J.F." because he had a cousin also named Jacob Standiford .

I think he was actually born in the "SouthEast" of the United States , in what is now West Virginia .

J.F. was born 1852 & moved to Muskogee in the Spring of 1878 , where he built a 'home/studio' .

He traveled quite a bit in the "Indian Territories" , usually by wagon , taking photos along the way .

He'd moved to Kansas for awhile , but went back to Muskogee , where he married in 1886 (no children , though) .

One of his famous series was of Stampede's Saloon in Tulsa , Ok. , although there were others .

Below is one of his , while commenting on the state of pot-holes & such , c1888 - Main Street , Muskogee , Ok .
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:26:38 pm by regularjoe2 »

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:10 am »
How about a scan from your new found photo?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 11:26:12 pm »
Agree with railman - would love to see a picture of the photo!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!