Author Topic: Krieghoff Drilling  (Read 3328 times)

railman44

• View Profile
Krieghoff Drilling
« on: March 24, 2010, 06:01:50 am »
A friend of mine has a Krieghoff Drilling with beautiful silver inlays of upland birds, etc.  The walnut stock and forearm are in very nice shape for it's age.  There is a door in the top of the forearm for two shotgun shells and one highpower cartridge.  There are two exposed hammers topside.  His Father brought the gun back from Germany after the war years ago.  The shotgun barrels are NOT demascus.  The rifling is very sharp on the underbarrel.  I always thought these were designed for boar hunting in Europe.  Anyone have any thoughts as to value?  I'm no expert but I would say the gun is 85%++.  Sorry, I was just able to see the gun in his office and didn't have my camera.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:05:17 am by railman44 »

waywardangler

Re: Krieghoff Drilling
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:55:20 am »
I am not a gun expert either but Krieghoffs are pretty high quality guns that were made in different grades.  There is one on this page http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/freeads/auction.cgi?action=ViewItem&ID=1219202649&Status=1 that is listed as a 'Standard' but looks pretty fancy to me.  Other Krieghoff drillings range up to 5 figures depending on grade, condition, and age.  I think most are  sold to collectors here in the US but might still be used in Europe.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:06:43 am »
On a quality collector scale Krieghoff is way up there

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 02:43:10 pm »
Are they terribly rare? I could only find a couple examples, all going for around $6-7k.

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »
Kriegoff is still in business and they still make drillings.  They are not rare just well made and expensive.
http://www.krieghoff.com/

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 04:34:54 pm »
    Just a curious Question,  Why call a gun a "Drilling" ?

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:53:15 pm »
A drilling (from the German drei for three) refers to a combination gun that has three barrels, which may be any mixture of rifle and shotgun barrels, while a vierling (from the German vier for four) has four barrels and a fünfling (from the German fünf for five) has five barrels.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 05:14:56 pm »
     Thanks Wayward, I feel Edumacated now  :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:54 pm »
Like that new word Ironlord!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!