Author Topic: Tin Ceiling Tiles  (Read 4638 times)

psyte

• View Profile
Tin Ceiling Tiles
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:52 pm »
I have an opportunity to purchase 450 antique tin ceiling tiles and crown molding. Problem is I'm not sure exactly how much any of it is worth so I'm not sure what to offer. I'm probably going to sell single tiles or a few at a time, so I'm mostly concerned with how much I could sell these for at that quantity.

The tiles are 24"x24". Most of the crown molding pieces are about 2ft x 8ft. The building was put up in 1923 and this appears to be the original ceiling, so I believe it should all date from around that time.

Here are some pics.

http://simiairgraphics.com/images/Tin_tiles/24X24.JPG
http://simiairgraphics.com/images/Tin_tiles/Crown.JPG
http://simiairgraphics.com/images/Tin_tiles/crownspacer.JPG

Thank you.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Tin Ceiling Tiles
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:29:13 pm »
I ran a Google search and found authentic antique tin ceiling tiles selling for about $20 each. But it looks like these are selling in a cleaned, ready to hang and paint state, rather than needing to be stripped and cleaned. Here's a sample, there are also some on Ebay.

http://greenspotantiques.com/wp/?s=GS_4-00118

Antiqueaholic in recovery

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16:42 am »
It largely depends on where you sell them. On eBay you would need to put a set price in order to get $20. I'd estimate significantly less. You could try Craigslist as well.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:50:39 am »
Depending on condition, to me, it looks like good property at the right price.  Keep in mind tin ceilings are reproduced which proves people still find the look appealing.  The only problem is the lot needs to be large enough to start/finish a room in question because finding exact duplicates would be very difficult.  I would avoid selling them individually.

psyte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:26:42 am »
Thanks everyone.

Railman, I think you make a good point about selling the lot. The room they're in is about 60ft by 30ft so as long as someone doesn't want to do a room larger than that, it would work. Any ideas what something like that might sell for?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:03:08 am »
These are hot items at flea markets and shops in Texas and the south in general.

If they were "distressed" (relief areas rubbed of paint") or brown - they would sell like hot cakes!

They are more popular for wall hangings, displays, etc.

They make repros of these in Mexico and send them north as the "real thing from the past" which saturates the market.  So, have to know what you are looking for here.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:46:38 pm »
Thanks everyone.

Railman, I think you make a good point about selling the lot. The room they're in is about 60ft by 30ft so as long as someone doesn't want to do a room larger than that, it would work. Any ideas what something like that might sell for?
In my neck of the woods if they're in respectable condition,  they would not be cheap in that quantity.  I don't believe it's something that would fly off the shelf but, when the right person comes along, 'Katy bar the door'.