Author Topic: Tea Cup Collection - Most valuable?  (Read 2399 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
Tea Cup Collection - Most valuable?
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:15:44 pm »
I am going to a collector's show in 2 weeks.  I have recently become interested in collecting old tea cups and saucers.

My research seems to indicate that the most collectible makers are Shelley and Paragaon.  Am I correct in my thinking, or is it more the age of the item?

I also noticed that Ebay seems to give the items away, but "real antique stores" seem to charge a lot more!

Thanks.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Tea Cup Collection - Most valuable?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:11:36 am »
there are many pattern's of tea cup's that are desireable to own as well as company's who made them. e-bay is low over head a brick & morter shop has rent etc to pay.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Cup Collection - Most valuable?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:11:09 am »
Many times you can purchase the same teacup for less on EBay than you can at a shop.  Like D&b said the shop seller has to cover costs....but the mentality of buyers is that they will usually pay more in a store. 

The fun and mentality of EBay is that you can get a good deal....what most people don't consider is that they may end up paying the same amount for the item even tho' they got it for a lower price because they don't figure in the shipping/handling costs.  I speak to lots of people that say I got an item just like that for $12.00 on Ebay and they are asking $20 for it in this store.  Then when asked how much for S/H...they paid $8, $10.00, etc....so they paid the same or many times more!  I myself have been guilty of that in the past.

If you are purchasing for you....you need to buy the pattern/manufacturer that makes you happy.  Be cautious when buying high end collectibles just for investment.  It's kind of like the stock market - it may be at the high end and not go higher....or it may go higher - but not in your lifetime. 

The greater deals which offer more money in return are not necessarily at collector's shows.  There are some good deals to be had, but people who attend are in a mind set that they will usually pay more.  The buzz of the event is irreplaceable and the information/knowledge that you learn are priceless so they are worthwhile if that is the area you want to learn more about.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!