Author Topic: Before you ask for advice...  (Read 51641 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Before you ask for advice...
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 03:16:48 am »
Post the picture,

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 08:19:12 am »
Thank you! I will do that today, when he gets up or have him do it. He's going to join the forum. :)
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 03:30:19 pm »
I posted something I was not able to find anywhere and boy did i get some amazing advice, thanks guys you do a great job. Hopefully i will be able to input some of my knowledge ;) one day

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 02:47:36 pm »
What a nice thing to say !!  I am sure everyone here is pleased to help !! Thank you !!

highfalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 03:28:58 pm »
Please respect the fact that the professionals on this board are busy too.. Please do as much research you can yourself before you ask advice, or for estimates of value.
We want to see your antiques, thats what we are here for! But also give us as much information to work with if you are asking for information. Where, When, What, Dates, etc.

Show everyone that you tried, and everyone will be more inclined to help!

Welcome! Stick around, perhaps you can help answer someone elses question, and learn a thing or two to boot.
Hi, I've been trying to find out when Merry's Perfumery and Toy Warehouse existed - they were in Oxford Street and later Grosvenor Square, London - as I have a solitaire board with their label on the back and I noticed that someone had a book for sale online and pointed out that this too had a label of theirs on it, so I thought perhaps this was noteworthy and may add value to the item. If anyone can cast light on this I'd be very grateful.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 02:35:49 am »
Welcome to the Forum, highfalcon.

Enter a "new" post with an appropiate "title" and a picture of the board and of the label on back, along with your questions.

annie2168

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 11:46:47 pm »
Can someone tell me how to put the red "new"' sign beside title of post
Antiquity is the aristocracy of history!

otendor

• View Profile
Cuadro
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 01:06:59 pm »
Hello,

This table is in my family for about fifty years and I would like to know if any value.

thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 07:30:40 pm »
Well, it appears to be a painting,,not a table !!  This thread is for information,,can you please put your question in the Q&A forum ??  No one looks here !! We will try to help !!

leeham987

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 06:47:21 pm »
Hi,

I feel bad too! We asked a question regarding my antique brooch that my fiancé Liam bought me for Christmas. I guess that we are included in not adding enough detail either. I have promised to take more photos, measure and describe more tomorrow  ;D

We have tried since christmas day to  find out what sort of brooch it is, but as there are no markings, we have hit a dead end! We know itis Victorian though, and honestly have researched :)

Apologies to anyone that our lack of knowledge has offended, and we are so grateful of  any help :) just a bit rubbish at explaining, we will get better! :) it is a site that we would love to carry on using.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:45 pm »
Very sorry if you thought we were complaining,,we were not and did not intend it taken that way !! But unless we tell people what would help,,how would they know ??  We realize that the first pic/post or two is not going to be perfect !! After many that we have done ours aren`t perfect either !!
Finding a maker for your pin without anything marked on it is almost impossible !! There were too many mfrs making items similar to it !! And many were sold during that time !!
We are proud to have you join this group and hope you stay with us !!  If there is a question about about a posting,,just ask anyone here !!  We will help you get the necessary info and pics for your item !!

Ipcress

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 05:49:48 am »
Why do so many regular thread starters not respond to questions posed about the items or thank people for their answers ?

Seems odd.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 07:14:07 pm »
Ipcress, I reckon some people find/join the forum and don't bookmark the address and also don't mark to get email notifications.  So they don't remember where they posted and/or to come back.  :)  Life gets full and busy!  :)  :(
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 09:48:05 am »
But i was referring to regular thread starters. Some don't respond to answers.

I understand the newbies. Many will post the same question in different forums.

KATH711

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 08:54:28 pm »
thank you  i am new to this site.. i apologize for not following protocol..  i am just wondering what type of professional would value a 150 year old   wood carving..