Author Topic: Brass Ibex Head Coffee Table. Any Idea of Value?  (Read 4991 times)

hunterfan

• View Profile
Brass Ibex Head Coffee Table. Any Idea of Value?
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:10:05 am »
I'm interested to hear opinions as to a realistic value of this table. Google shows prices from about $1000-$4500. Most I have seen are offered by well established, high-end antique dealers and most were overseas. I'm assuming this is French inspired and it's definitely a Hollywood Regency piece. Everything I've read indicates it was made in the early 70's. It's handmade as the braze beads are all hand done.

I couldn't get detailed pictures but this link shows the finer details.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRASS-IBEX-RAMS-HEAD-COFFEE-TABLE-BASE-MID-CENTURY-HOLLYWOOD-REGENCY-/110760124256

This is my table and it's polished.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:11:46 am by hunterfan »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Brass Ibex Head Coffee Table. Any Idea of Value?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:10:50 pm »
Its an unusual piece,, I will say !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:55:37 pm »
I would surmise that a retail value of $1000-$1500 would not be out of the question in a New York City shop. I would track those on Ebay and see where they go. It is a really unusual looking piece and I think it would also appeal to an African theme designer. Once again in NY or LA or even Atlanta. Just an educated guess, not an estimate to bank on.

hunterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:15:04 pm »
I would surmise that a retail value of $1000-$1500 would not be out of the question in a New York City shop. I would track those on Ebay and see where they go. It is a really unusual looking piece and I think it would also appeal to an African theme designer. Once again in NY or LA or even Atlanta. Just an educated guess, not an estimate to bank on.

Thanks. I've followed auctions with these for the last year or so and none have ended with a bid. Obviously, a big name gallery would fetch top dollar for this but I'm thinking the best market will be overseas. The majority that I've seen have been offered there.

There's just very little information I can find on this. Most, if not all descriptions I've seen are merely guesses or opinions. I'd love to read factual info regarding it's history and manufacturer. I've seen a lot of antiques in my life but I ain't never seen one of these! Hopefully it is a valuable and important piece.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:57:49 am »
With so many that I found on google, it is not a hard piece to find so there are quite a number on the market. I also looked at a number of them and none sold, so they were either overpriced or no one wanted them !! The price frogpatch gave was probably about right at a high end shop or gallery !! But it is a very specialized market for items like this !!  It has sort of an Art Deco feel so maybe that would be a route to take in advertising it !!

hunterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:22:04 am »

I sold it today to a buyer in Miami. Now I just have to find another one @ the price I paid for this one...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:18 am »
Hope you did well on it !!

hunterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 09:58:22 am »
Hope you did well on it !!

I'm happy!

Just out of curiosity. You claimed to have seen ''so many'' online. I otoh, have seen under a dozen world wide and I thought I'd search pretty well. I think I need some search tips!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:24:33 am »
I just googled "brass ibex head coffee table"  and then checked ebay !! Ebay had one current and it was the same only dining table size !! (Don`t think it sold)  There were two or three ended listings for ebay,, rest were sales sites and two on worthpoint that had been on within the last year I believe !! A couple of the sale sites (if I remember correctly) had two of the same coffee table !! I did not check each site for prices since I am on dial up and they take so long !! One did give what I am assuming was a mfr as Heritage !! Not sure if it was Drexel Heritage or a different company though !!

hunterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:02:22 pm »
Just a reminder. Anything that's on Worthpoint is an Ebay auction. As I said, I'm no stranger to researching this piece...It is definitely NOT an easy piece to find, or at least at a reasonable price. I've dealt professionally in antiques for about 20 years.

There have been 2 offered on Ebay in the last1.5-2 years. Those were offered numerous times and those were the ones you saw on Worthpoint. 3 other dealers in the WORLD are offering individual pieces. I've listed mine numerous times which is the ones you see offered on Craigslist.

Not trying to call you out. I just want people to realize that often times, the same piece is offered on numerous websites.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:52:05 am »
I did know that worthpoint has past records on ebay sales,, wasn`t really sure if anything else !!  I don`t look at craigslist !! Saw one that sold at NYshowplace but no price given or date, huntforantiques UK I think had one at 4500 Euro, 1stdibs also but didn`t wait for it to come up due to dial up, Irwinfielddesign had one listed at some point for $4800.
And due to time constraints I don`t check each one !! I hate to wait on them !!   But if you had yours listed on craigslist several times , my question is,, did you get any interest from it !!  You are asking for a realistic value and I think that in todays market If you get $2000. you would be doing well !! Even though Frogpatch may be closer to actual price !! You have to take many things into account when thinking about a value !!  But I am sure you know that !!  My viewpoint is similar to what I use for ebay,,If I list an item and it doesn`t sell, I look to see the number of watchers, if several are watching it I will relist it once at same price !!  If no watchers or very few I get that price down !! No matter what I think its worth !!  Its the buyer that counts,,, not me !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 01:42:30 am »
What is considered a value to an item may not necessarily be what is the going price to sell an item dependent on buyers' demand.

In other words...just because you don't see many of an item/style for sale doesn't necessarily make it rare and up the price.  Many times items have have a lot of monetary value...but if buyers are going to pay it....market demand fluctuates and this market is very touchy at this point on items such as this.  Sometimes you may have to wait a long time for the right person to come along.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!