Author Topic: Antique Rocking Horse  (Read 5783 times)

dwdrums2112

• View Profile
Antique Rocking Horse
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:47:50 pm »
I have an antique rocking horse that needs an appraisal, it looks very old, and I have a few guesses to the date and value. Anyone an expert on these? Or where I could call to get an estimate? Thanks!

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7104/antiquerockinghorse.jpg

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Antique Rocking Horse
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:03:59 pm »
*While wiping the drool from my face*...
Close ups pics would be great. Pictures of the nails that were used, the paint and of the saddle. The hair looks a lot like human hair rather than horse hair. ???
Great looking horse! Lots of reproductions out there so more pics would help the guys and gals on here give a more detailed opinion. Although at first glance, it does appear to actually be mid-late 1800's and not a repro.
In my neck of the woods, (Washington State) the prices are all over the place. Anywhere from $300-$700 depending on size.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:31:14 am by hosman321 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 05:15:31 am »
hosman, it got an oooooooooh out of me too!  May not even need that my caffeine after all  :D

dwdrums, there a some good sites around on rocking horses. A lot of people are in love with them.....as you can tell. Condition, age, maker and location often dictate 'value'. Once you nail down it's age and possibly maker you can search based on that and likely come up with a very close figure.

I'd start with these ones...

http://www.oldrockinghorses.com/

http://www.sallysrockinghorses.com/

Another that may help with identification (click blue Stock No. for pic).....

http://rockinghorses.co.uk/antique.htm

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:23:12 am by sapphire »

dwdrums2112

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:44:17 am »
Thanks for the amazingly quick responses guys, Ill look into it further. The hair on the mane is horse hair, Ill check with the nails and what type of construction was used. I did this for a friend, so I DEFINITELY wouldve look ;) im a little above noob level when it comes to antiques haha :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:50:47 am »
I have seen some with this style in the past....and usually (but not always) they were American made - most likely early 1900's.

They also used cow hair (there are long haired cows as well!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:51:02 am »
What a wonderful horse! Agreed, yours looks like the real McCoy, there are lots of repros out there but yours has all the signs of use/wear/love by generations of children. Waaay cool!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:08:02 pm »
Nice looking rocking horse with frame , dwdrums2112 .

Welcome to the forum !

dwdrums2112

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:40:44 pm »
Thanks for all the responses guys. More pictures are on the way! Looks to me a few aftermarket pieces are added, the hair is definitely horsehair. Its very thick. Doesnt look handcarved, paint is chipping. The saddle is stuffed with straw, and the leather looks like it has alot of wear. Pieces were changed or added over the years. Phillips head screws were used, Ill post more pictures on my picasa ( i guess thats what its called) more are on the way. I really appreciate the help guys!! my picasa is dwdrums2112

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:59:02 pm »
Lookin' forward to pics. :)
Aftermarket screws and replacement parts will hurt the monetary value quite a bit, in my opinion. Still worth a good amount of money and still a treasure, just not worth nearly as much as an all original one. I'd still love it though. :P
The 3 similar horses that are currently at my favorite antique store are all original and are between $300 and $400.

These two have been on craigslist for many many months and are not selling. They are asking $1,400 for both. Or, $600 for the one without a mane and $1,000 for the one with a mane.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:08:33 pm by hosman321 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 07:47:32 pm »
hosman, your left one looks English made.  Not sure about the one on the right!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 07:51:02 pm »
Yeah, the ad says that one is english and the other is German.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »
What a great rocking horse! It looks so wonderfully rustic (in a good way). Don't ever paint it. Welcome to the forum, I play Pearl drums myself :)