Author Topic: Value of 1948 Arrow Development Co Cast Iron Carousel Horse  (Read 21484 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Value of 1948 Arrow Development Co Cast Iron Carousel Horse
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 09:17:32 am »
Great info Tales & sounds like a good clue to run with!!!

sdavisgordon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 12:24:41 pm »
Hi, I don't know if you are still researching your horse, but I wanted you to know that I have one of the 5 that were auctioned and I would argue that mine is every bit as beautiful as yours Lol!  ;)  I only had $800 with me the day of the auction. I grew up on those horses, as did my kids. They were all that I was bidding for. Naturally I was devastated when they went for $2800. On the 4th horse, I frantically bid and when it reached $900 I dejectedly dropped out and a gentleman from the audience jumped up and shouted to the auctioneer "o fer crissake cant you see how much she wants one of those horses? Just SELL it to her already". The auctioneer laughed and said "this is an AUCTION...I can't just sell it to her". And then something wonderful happened. Nobody else bid. They all just sat there and the auctioneer pointed his gavel at me and said "Ma'am, this is your lucky day". Everyone started clapping and I and my daughter were jumping up and down. I love my horse, his name is Lucky of course; he has a beautiful oak and brass stand and he gets dressed up every Christmas.
I would love to know where you got a copy of the Arrow book. I'm not worried about Lucky's value. I think he's priceless!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 12:30:49 pm »
What a lovely story .. restores your faith in humanity somewhat!  :)

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 12:34:05 pm »
What a GREAT story!!

Tales will love it when she reads it I'm sure.
Ed
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

waywardangler

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 12:39:54 pm »
It's a wonderful life! Nice story.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 01:19:44 pm »
Oh what a fantastic story! Thanks so much for tracking me down and sharing it! I agree, our horses are priceless! Like you, I grew up on them at Happy Hollow.

I would be happy to loan you the Arrow book, you can just send it back to me when you are done with it. Send me a message with a mailing address and I'll get it out to you. These books are out of print and hard to come by and when they do come up they go for about $80 - $100. (I got lucky and got one for $24) The writing is unfortunately quite amateurish, but the content is fabulous.

I spoke to the man who purchased the carousel for Happy Hollow back in the late 1950's. He was with the San Jose Jaycees at the time. He told me they had a hard time finding a carousel for the park and how important it was to bringing in revenue for the park. Our carousel was found in storage underneath the old Tanforan Race Track outside of San Francisco. He and his partners with the Jaycees came up with a bunch of guys with trucks and hauled all the pieces of the carousel down to Happy Hollow in the middle of the night. It was designed to tear-down and transport, but it sounds like it was quite an adventure hauling it in pickup trucks! Sadly, the carousel was up for sale being parted out on Craigslist a few months ago.

I'm really pleased to be incontact with another person who loves these horses as much as I do!   ;D

Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 12:32:03 pm »
OH-MY-GOODNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!  I love it when people let their "human kindness" show!  AND, of course, our TALESOF lets her kindness side show all the time!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 04:44:24 pm »
What a great story!