Author Topic: Fake ?  (Read 23421 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Fake ?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 08:39:03 pm »
From the handwriting I would say post 1850...  Here are some examples from Censuses.  I looked at several from different areas of the country including some years from Philadelphia and the "ss" style was consistent (not regional).  Prior to 1850, on censuses at least, "ss" was written (to our eye) as "fs" on 1860 it is written as "ss"

The first pic you are looking for a Ross from 1850 (New York)
Second pic a De Ross from 1850 (Wisconsin)
Third Pic a Boss from 1860 (New York I think)

All names should be near the top....

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 11:06:58 pm »
It is crackled, the glaze. I live in Philadelphia. Which museum would you go to or contact? Shoulld I go to the Academy of Natural Science? Should I take a better picture?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:40:31 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 11:01:28 am »
Hope this helps....p

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »
Another hint that this is post 1850...  http://www.elfrethsalley.org/houses/121-elfreths-alley

Look closely at the door of House 121.  Above the plaque with the house number is another plaque with another house number – Number 8.  The Alley used a different numbering system until the middle of the 19th century.  It started on the north side of the Alley at the waterfront, where House 107 once stood, ran all the way up the north side of the Alley and then back down the south side.  So, House 107 (now demolished) was originally House 1, and across the street House 106 (also gone) was known as House 34.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 01:01:58 pm »
An interesting thread of which I know little about.  I would like to know when the abbreviation "Philada" was in use?  Seems an unusual abbreviation for Philadelphia to me.

I am answering my own question.  I found this reference on antique buttons and the use of "Philada"...George Armitage, Philadelphia Pennsylvania, made buttons 1799 to 1826.  The buttons bearing "Philada" are an old style of presentation of "Philadelphia".  From...http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zBackmarkPhilada.htm
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:07:33 pm by waywardangler »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 01:44:11 pm »
It was a good question Wayward...  I googled too and found out the Liberty Bell has Philada inscribed on it...

As far as Museums to contact, I might start with The Elfreth's Alley Museum: http://www.elfrethsalley.org/exhibits  There were potters that lived in the Alley so maybe the museum can give some direction.  They also would know about the residents as I'm sure they have collected several stories over the years.  And...  if nothing else they may be able to refer you to another group...

It is a really cool piece!! I would love to know more about it too!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 02:57:23 pm »
My gut just feels like it was a commemorative mug for a visitor.  Nice looking tho'!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 04:04:17 pm »
Interesting about the Meyers. I'll have to contact the museum and see what the real story is behind the mug. I looked for a gift shop on line and saw no items. I will send them the pictures and see what they say. It's funny because if you read the book " For all other Nights " it makes this mug more interesting. It about Jews during the Revolution. I assume the names Meyers, Cline were Jews themselves.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 04:17:47 pm »
I just wrote to the museum and ask if any mugs like these made commercially or not or at anytime. I hope they respond. I'll let you know.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »
Here some info on the person. It's interesting about the stamp that honors him because look what was written in 1975 Revoluntionary Hero. It sounds similar.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 07:29:09 pm »
You know...  I would be very disappointed if this were a souvenir piece sold by the museum - unless they have been around for 100+ years and I don't think that's the case.  The handwriting IS old - it just doesn't seem to fit within a reasonable time frame of his death.  I kinda think it was either a Centennial piece OR even 10-20 yrs earlier/later.  Perhaps they had a block party on the 4th of July and the local potter opened up his shop....  I dunno.... I making stuff up now  ;D 

I should also add the disclaimer that I know absolutely nothing about pottery and such...

If it were a later souvenir I would expect that it would have some other mark (besides a sticker) if sold by a museum.

waywardangler

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 10:07:46 pm »
It is hard to get a feel for the age of this mug only through internet pics.  If this was a late to recent souvenir piece, I would expect to find at least a few examples on the web and I have found none.  Now if this was an early period piece, I would expect to find almost no examples on the web, and there are none.  Now if the potter sold souvenirs, I would expect the output to be limited and most examples discarded/broken/damaged over time.  Just my thoughts as I know very, very little about pottery.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 10:41:27 pm »
I thought that too! Why am I the only one who has one. There should be one on ebay! lol As I read through the history of the families at the time this cup is very plausible due to some of the families of the street. I've search online images, everywhere. I hope the museum emails me back tomorrow. When I looked up there gift shop items all I got were tastykakes and soft pretzels. They aren't bad either, but not what I was looking for.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 10:46:17 pm »
Philada is very common. I have that on a lot of old bottles from that time period

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 12:17:56 pm »
That street is VERY well known as a historical street and the gentleman has since become very acclaimed in aiding the US out of bankruptcy.

There was a potter just a few doors down in the mid 1900's...when it was an up and coming tourist stop.

I am still leaning towards the tourist item...but not made on a large scale.  If I was touting the historical value of the area I would also put all written works in verbage of the time!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!