Author Topic: Oak Crest Roll-top desk help  (Read 12237 times)

dantheman

• View Profile
Oak Crest Roll-top desk help
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:27:48 pm »
I have had this roll-top desk for a couple years.  It came with a rent house I lived in.

Anyway.  The metal logo on the front says Oak Crest but I have no way to tell how old it is or how much it's worth.  I am moving again and I don't want to move it again.  It weighs about 500lbs.  

See pictures attached.  Does anyone have any info that may help?

Thanks
D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:30:41 pm by dantheman »

waywardangler

Re: Oak Crest Roll-top desk help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:31:30 pm »
It looks like a great desk. How much is the rent because if it is cheap enough, it may pay for me to rent for a month just to get the desk? ;D

I see some quarter sawn oak on a drawer so I would think this is an old original roll top and not something that is new. That is a beautiful desk and I think you should go to the trouble of moving it or you may regret it farther down the road.

Evidently this company has been in business for some time. There are all sorts of (used) newer styles for sale from $250-$1500 on the internet. The claw feet on yours looks light..has the finish worn off or have these been chewed on by a pet?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:47:21 pm by waywardangler »

dantheman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:39:37 pm »
I tried uploading more pics.  Let's see if this works

dantheman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:40:47 pm »
And another...

dantheman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:42:20 pm »
One more...

Anyone have any ideas?

dantheman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:18 pm »
I think the feet are just worn...but not really sure.  I have no history on this desk except that it was left in my room when I moved in.  I then took it with me to the next place but am now moving again and won't have any room for it.  I am looking to sell it but don't want to miss out if it's worth more than I could get locally.  Any ideas where I can find more information on maybe how old it is?  I cannot find much on OakCrest desks on the internet.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:36:14 pm »
Hi!

Don't believe you have an older one there.  This company has sold many a desk.  Should be very, very happy if you can get $200 for it.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dantheman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:51:17 pm »
How can you tell it's not old?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:57:02 pm »
Pull out drawer and take pics of sides of drawer where it is connected back to front.  Take pic of backside.  Screws and hardware.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:20:59 pm »
I do think it's an older one but hard to tell from the pictures. The wood seems to have some age and patina and the escutcheon (keyhole) looks older. A picture of the side of a drawer might help, but I think it was made in the early 1900's. So, it may still have machine cut dovetails. I agree that it is worth keeping and trying to find a way to fit it in. But if it must go, don't accept less than $300. You can't get a new one that nice for anywhere near $300. The feet can be repaired or replaced.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:23:08 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 07:24:10 pm »
Also, is there an actual locking mechanism behind that keyhole? That might help with dating the desk.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »
Did they use metal drawer slides in the early 1900's?  I thought 60's when I saw those. May be a good place to start research...  Do they have a name stamped in them?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »
Very keen eye, oceans! I didn't even notice that. I'll go look at similar early desks.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »
I think about 1930 or 40 !! I have a weakness for golden oak !! Its a beautiful piece and even though roll tops are not popular now because of the size and yes,,weight, it will still sell better than other woods in my area !! I would ask $400. but don`t turn down $300. !!  Not many people want them anymore !!  They want computer desks !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:54 am »
I looked a bit last night but didn't find a time frame for mechanical drawer slides.  While I haven't handled many pieces from the early 1900's - 30/40's I don't recall any of them having a slide. Nor did I see any when I briefly googled some pics.  I'm with KC on this one - thinking it's a later piece (1960ish +)

Wayward may know more about the slides....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey