Author Topic: Royal-Bonn Art-Nova  (Read 4220 times)

NJK

• View Profile
Royal-Bonn Art-Nova
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:54:00 pm »
I recently aquired an unusual vase due to a death in the family.  As you can see in the picture the markings are all handwritten.  I was wondering about when this vas was produced.  If the picture is hard to see it states:  Royal-Bonn Art_nova D.210 46 Germany c.4602/7   

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Royal-Bonn Art-Nova
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:11:46 pm »
Can you post pics of the Vase itself, so as to get a look at style? also include size and any other unique aspects of the vase.

NJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:21:55 pm »
Sure.  I have attached three pictures.  Hope this helps.  It is 12 1/2" tall.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:24:57 pm »
Thank you Iron lord. I was going to ask the same thing. I think we should ask. Chris Marshall A german trade Mark expert too take a look. it's missing a Bonn trade mark.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:20 pm »
it most certainly is Art Noveau. but hopefully chris will stop in.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 04:18:36 pm »
Although I've never seen the mark R-B-A-N hyphenated on items from Franz Alton Mehlem before , it sure does look like stuff from them .

Very nice !

Here's an example of Franz Mehlem 'Art Nova' , kinda like yours .
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:21:44 pm by regularjoe2 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:32:28 pm »
I've never seen that either. I asked Chris to stop in. Germany indicates it was intended for export.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 06:34:59 pm »
Always like it when Chris stops by!

Interested in finding this one out as well!

Nice vase....also believe it looks Art Noveau!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 07:00:41 pm »
Just a bit of Rookie statement here.  First I really don't trust any thing that is hand written, but most intresting is Art Nove,  Should that not me Art Novea, (if I'm spelling that right)  ;D.  Then for the real rookie question.  If a item was actually made in the Art Novea period, would they even use that word, or rather during a period of time does not the Title of the period usually get it's name after the period, for the most part.  O.k. not sure if that question is being stated right.  If I made a item today I pretty sure I would not put Computer Age on the item.

I did find the match that regularjoe found to be almost proof of the artist and time frame, I just find this to be a little off, and almost says the writing was added years later.  Told you rookie questions, and statment  :o

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 07:13:56 pm »
Art Nouveau,  ok now I edumacated  8)

Chris_Marshall

• View Profile
    • Porcelain marks & more
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 02:30:28 am »
Hi all,

Nice item indeed, NJK!

ironlord1963 made a point that should be taken to heart normally: never trust hand-written statements. In this here case we can disregard that as the background of the series plus the mold of the item as well as other existing examples clearly show that many items were indeed not marked with the normal Mehlem marks. Here's another one taken from the Weisser catalog issued for the Mehlem & Wessel exhibition in Bonn; it's from the same series and also without the stamped Mehlem marks. It is a 20 cm high vase coded "214 - 8656/a - 57" and shows 'Royal Bonn' plus (note!) 'Ars Nova' without 'Germany' in variation to your 'Art-Nova' plus 'Germany':

The reason for the change in procedure (or rather exception from the rule) for this series was that these items were made/decorated by real independent (read as: not employed by Mehlem) artists directly in the factory instead of the normal procedure which saw designers create templates or directly instructing normal employees. It was a reaction to the quick change in taste of the customers; it gave some artists a nice background and in turn the company was able to add some modern/hip items to its portfolio. Sadly, most of the artists were never heard of again. An exception may be A. Hofmann who later went on to work for the Wessel company and designed the largest part of their Art Nouveau / Jugenstil wall tile assortment.

But I'm trailing off again :)

NJK, your original question was about it's age. Note that both your item and the others from that series are all decorated in a way that some people would not call 'Art Nouveau' at all; but I think those would claim a difference between "Art Nouveau" and "Jugendstil" even if both are the same. However one should beware the folks which believe that any Art Nouveau item *has* to look like the designs of Victor Horta; the whole AN movement included thousands of artists worldwide and they all had their own personal impression of what 'made' Art Nouveau.

Nearly trailed off again ... dating the items is quite easy as the documentation on Mehlem series is pretty complete; the Art Nova series was created between 1897 and 1904 and I may add that items from that series are relatively hard to find so they are more desireable than items from the Flamand series for example. As for value, I have *no* idea as that's not my cup of tea - I am unable to work 'in numbers' and can only memorize mark images and company history, sorry.

Oh, and I grabbed the pics for my site, if you don't mind ;)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 07:06:34 am »
As alway's Chris Thank you!.you should have no trouble selling at $350.00 Dollars.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:54:10 am »
I usually don't get much into values of things here ....
Not to start a bidding war , but ...
Considering the fact that your vase is a true antique , as well as a piece of art , I think $700 would be closer to a fair price deal for a ( dedicated ) collector of Mehlem , depending upon where you'd 'market' it .

I watched a piece go for over $900 last year at auction , on the East coast (N.Y. City) .

Thanks to Chris for new (to me ) specific info about the makers' marks !

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18:53 am »
$350.00 is just minimum don't give it away price. art pottery sold at Rago's for example could reach a Thousand Dollars.

NJK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 01:10:52 pm »
Thanks everyone for all you input.  I have many items I am unwrapping so if I find more unusually items I will ask.  Lots of cut glass & Rookwood pottery items.  I guess I will be going to the local book store to buy some reference books.  Thanks again :)