Author Topic: Real or fake ??  (Read 6249 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: Real or fake ??
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 05:22:20 pm »
When we were kids we us to hunt for those down by the creek bed after a storm or just after a farmer would plow their field after a heavy rain. You would think there wasn't too much value in them since there are so many of them after so many thousands of years.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 05:31:35 pm »
Most don`t have a great monetary value !!  But the history and culture behind each is fascinating !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 05:40:35 pm »
yes, when you find one you can feel the history and culture behind it and just think you were the first to hold it since it was last held and shot from their bow and what it was aimed at and who made it and when it was made and did it migrate with them in the spring after a long winter? They were fun to look for when I was a kid....

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 05:50:27 pm »
Most don`t have a great monetary value !!  But the history and culture behind each is fascinating !!
That is true but they are like any antique or collectible. The common stuff stays common, but high grade pieces have greatly appreciated over the years. There are lots of pieces out there that will bring six figures. The most expensive piece I have sold brought 3000 dollars and that was 20 years ago.

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 05:57:25 pm »
yes, when you find one you can feel the history and culture behind it and just think you were the first to hold it since it was last held and shot from their bow and what it was aimed at and who made it and when it was made and did it migrate with them in the spring after a long winter? They were fun to look for when I was a kid....
Another thought if you don't mind. The bow and arrow was invented in North America some 1500 years ago. The pieces I posted are 8000 to 10000 years old. Before the bow, the atlatl was used.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 06:11:11 pm »
Just curious but what brought that amount of money ??   

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 07:54:28 pm »
It was a Sloan Dalton, almost six inches. About 8500 B.C. and perfect. Sorry, I don't have a pic.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 08:53:14 pm »
No pics ???  Shame on you !!   Just kidding !!  Wish I had pics of the ones we had but,, when the Ex left,, so did the collection !!  A friend that we used to hunt with was walking Sulphur River one summer and found the most beautiful white quartz knife !!  Odd thing about it was that it was shaped more like our modern knives !! It would have been a hafted knife !! Never have seen another one like it !!   Around here we found a lot of points made of petrified wood but most were flint !! Found a few obsidian trade points that were nice !!  But nothing as good as the one you had !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 05:01:59 am »
It was a Sloan Dalton, almost six inches. About 8500 B.C. and perfect. Sorry, I don't have a pic.

IlliniGuy, I have a spear point that is 6 ¼ inches long and is perfect, no flaws. It is the only flint artifact that I have ever found and I found it when living in Upstate New York. I was told by a SUNY Professor of Archeology that it was approximately 10,000 years old.

What is the retail value you would place on it?

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 05:25:28 am »
Nice point Cogar. Points really vary a lot from region to region and NY is kinda out of my comfort zone. If it is undamaged as you say ( really hard to tell from the pic), I would say probably in the 300 to 500 range. One bit of caution though. I sure don't like seeing those copper wires holding it to the background. They can cause little chips that will affect the value greatly. I would recommend a case that uses pressure from foam backing to hold it against the glass. Value of points is determined by several things. Condition, Type, Material, Provenance, Size and quality of workmanship are the keys.

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 05:32:15 am »
A point of this size could go for more but without having it in hand I am being conservative.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 08:53:04 am »
I agree on those wires !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 10:56:39 am »
Don't you all be frettin now, that is anodized steel wire, ..... not copper.

And they are just holding those relics in place, ...... not tightly clamping them to the backboard.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 02:35:17 pm »
Wow!!!  Love this stuff!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 03:10:36 pm »
Nice buncha tools , folks !

My family owned land that had a portion of Cahokia included on it ... lots of bird & game points from there in the family , traditionally passed on to the younger members for a few generations so far .

Just goes to show that you can find unusual things in the garden !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "