Author Topic: Queen Mary deck chairs  (Read 9731 times)

larryandrobin

• View Profile
Queen Mary deck chairs
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:52:23 am »
Hello -
I've come into possession of two deck chairs. They are white, and bear two small brass plaques. One reads "Queen Mary" and the other reads "1st Class Only.
How can I determine if they are what they claim to be? Also, they are in less than stellar condition. If they are legit, any idea what they might draw at auction?
Larry & Robin

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Queen Mary deck chairs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:36:01 am »
larry & Robin can you' get us a picture ? the Queen mary is supposedly Haunted. I would certainly use that theme to drive the price up.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:24:33 am »
You really need to establish when these were used and on what Queen Mary if at all possible.  Makes a big difference in price!

There are numerous photo ops that show pics of them and that would also be a win-win to post pics with the chairs.

Here's a interesting tid bit that chairs were replaced in 2004 due to overweight Americans!  http://effectmeasure.blogspot.com/2004/12/rearranging-deck-chairs-on-queen-mary.html

See that some teak ones from Queen Mary sold on Craigs List - San Diego 02/2009 for $175.00 each - in good condition.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

larryandrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:29:24 pm »
Here are some pix. How would I go about establishing when they might have been used?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:44:55 pm »
I have been looking a dozens of pics of of deck chairs from the QM2  and QM and have yet to see any that are painted.  It appears yours is painted?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

larryandrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:05:43 pm »
I came across three chairs, all were painted white. Only one was in outstanding condition (the one I couldn't get my hands on). If they were painted after they left the ship, it was a quality job. On the best of the three, the paint has a creamy, rich look. On the two I have, the paint has deteriorated.
Assuming that some genius got these chairs and decided to paint them white, do they have any value at all? I'm still wondering how I can determine their origin and age. Any guesses?

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:44:27 pm »
Well, they obviously have value even if they're not from the QM.  It appears from your picture there is a metal tag at the base of the chair.  What does it say?  Lots of people aren't happy until they paint something.  The paint can always be stripped and the chair refinished.  Lots would also depend upon what kind of wood is underneath the coat(s) of paint.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »
There worth a few buck's. alot this stuff was being made and sold in the 1960's I don't see any Brass joint's. there would'nt be any brass tag's. they wood be made of teak wood & maybe branded on the back Queen mary or cunard. there still nice lawn chairs

larryandrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 06:26:46 pm »
There are two tags on each chair: "Queen Mary" and "1st Class Only". Also the joints just above the foot rest are heavy brass.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 06:39:50 pm »
Have to let you know about this site....they sell "Queen Mary" teak deck chairs....that have never been on the Queen Mary...that is their style.
http://www.twenga.co.uk/search.php?q=queen+mary  of course it is in the UK   but feel you need to all that is out there for reference.  They sell pretty good.

I personally nor anyone on this site can vouch that these are in fact authentic....it is one of those items that has to have a hands on....however, the brass hinges are a biggie that was needed on all joints due to salt water exposure....(the brass joints you have are a big plus).  Can only keep looking....find photos of the Queen Mary with some like these on deck to truly identify.

It could be that someone bought them for novelty from the Queen Mary, painted and tagged them...which will still make them very novel and a nostalgic collection piece.

I'll keep looking!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:28:22 pm by KC »

larryandrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 08:55:40 pm »
Thank you so much for your interest and assistance. I don't know where this is leading, but I'm enjoying the trip! You guys rock!